SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By dav7
I honestly have no idea if something like this would be popular, practical or even possible, but since ideas never mentioned are worse than ideas that suck, I thought I'd get this concept out there anyway.

Note that this isn't a product - it's a concept. You can't buy one yet. But if you like the idea of owning something like this you could reply to this thread :)

Also, please be aware of the fact that I am an absolute noob when it comes to microcontrollers and such - the amount of knowledge I have on the subject could probably fill a 15-20 page pamphlet. That said, I think that what I want is still possible.

A year or so ago I got the idea for an extremely simple to program handheld computer-type thing, where instead of an OS, "killer application" and so on, you'd instead get full specs and demo code showing how the thing worked, a programming cable, and the words "do your worst".

Something like that, anyway.

I don't think for one second that this is a unique idea. It's probably been dreamed up thousands of times, and it already exists to some extent in the form of PDAs and more recently things like smartphones and MIDs - but these devices have operating systems, apps and actually do something specific, instead of not having any given task in particular. And "hackable" stuff already exists - the OpenMoko mobile phone has deliberately places tie points on its mainboard so you can poke it in various ways.

Instead, this thread asks the question "should a hobbyist device like what I describe exist?" Reply if you agree. :D

So, what would my conception of this device be like? Well, for starters, the primary concern and focus would be size. Not only would I want mine as small as possible but also as thin as possible - say, 5mm. Since the Qualcomm TG01 smartphone has come out which uses the 1GHz ARM Snapdragon CPU and yet is 9.9mm thick, I completely believe a thin device is possible, even for hobbyists.

Secondly, I'd want my device to look "finished", or capable of passing as a "consumer product", if you know what I mean - most DIY hobbyist electronics projects look half naked most of the time, and even when they are finished they're in relatively gigantic project boxes and such. It's true!

CPU
My device probably wouldn't use a Snapdragon - at least not initially :lol: - but nonetheless I would want a relatively fast CPU on it... say, 100MHz. It would also need graphics (required) and audio acceleration (if possible).

RAM
In addition to that I'd want a decent amount of RAM: 8MB at least, more if possible. 32MB sounds nice.

Screen
I'd want a color touchscreen that filled as much of the device's footprint as possible, or, in other words, means the bezel would be really thin. The TG01 has a touchscreen and it's thin, so I believe this is possible. At the very least I'd want 64k colors, however 16bpp would be very nice.

Communication
After that, I'd probably want some kind of communication - so a wireless module would be in the works. I don't know if production-grade wi-fi or bluetooth modules are smaller than XBee modules; whatever's smallest and eats the least amount of power is what I'd want here. The idea is that the unit communicates with a small USB-powerable "base" that's not far away, which can from there communicate with the 'net, local devices, and so on.

Storage
Something simple and flexible like a microSD card slot would probably be a good idea here. In addition to that, 16MB of onboard flash could hide amongst the other stuff on the board for bootloading and/or programs you wanted to keep on the device.

Sound
Like I hinted in the CPU section, sound would also be a component part of a device like this - at the very least I'd want audio out, but a line/speaker input wouldn't go astray. However, if sound isn't possible, then I guess it could be omitted.

To summarize:

- 100MHz CPU or close to that (I wouldn't want less than 80MHz) with graphics and audio acceleration
- 8MB RAM at the least
- Some kind of thin, color touchscreen
- microSD card slot and 16MB or so of onboard flash memory
- Audio support, if possible
- This would be something of a "finished-looking" equivalent to an Arduino which you could carry around with you and wouldn't attract "that looks like a detonator :shock:" (or similar) stares from people 8)

I have no idea if something like this is even possible...

I wrote a similar post to this a while ago - here it is. For some reason, nobody responded, which is why I doubted my idea but mentioned it here anyway, since I think it does actually have a bit of potential - even if just a bit...

-dav7
By noptical
Don't want to disappoint you but what you described is known as "development board" and there are thousands of these available ;)

Except of the appearance part since they're just boards..
By dav7
I understand.

Development or prototyping boards have their place for sure, but you can't really take a dev board out with you and use it like you could a consumer device in real world situations like restaurants, at shopping centers and so on, not unless you had some kind of enclosure for it at least, and even then it'd probably look pretty bulky.

I realize that what I want is probably just a pipe dream, but I thought I'd get it out there anyway. Thanks.
By TheDirty
Any linux hackable PDA would do this. Something like the iPAQ. I`m sure there`s others.
By dav7
I mentioned that, actually. Looks like I'm trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
By Philba
to be honest, I have no idea what you are asking for. I suggest if you have a specific application in mind, start with that. Starting from "generic do anything" will be an exercise in compromise. One size definitely doesn't fit all. and how could it?
By dav7
I see what you mean.

To be honest, I'm more of a software person than a hardware person, I've never owned or played with a microcontroller or anything of the sort - I've only seen pictures and videos - so this idea is more opinion than solution and is, pretty much, an exercise in futility and, like you said, compromise.

I guess I'm just looking for something that's simple to program from scratch so I can learn the ropes, and something that looks "good" (in that I can take it out with me and play with it without attracting stares).

Maybe when the money isn't so tight and my computer's a bit newer I'll get a simple micro and see if PICs, AVRs and the like are what I think they are, and whether I'm not barking up the wrong tree :D

Thanks anyway.

I did consider what I'd use a device like this for though:

- Testing various types of UI designs and figuring out UI concepts that were the fastest and easiest to navigate
- If audio worked out, using it as an awesome homemade MP3 player with a gigantic display :D
- Possibly using it for video
- Simple web browsing (I could have fun making a (simple) web browser!)
- If I could get E-Ink displays for it, I could use it as an "active note" - I could leave it somewhere (in the house, of course), enter a message on it either by on-screen keyboard or via the radio and have an "OK" button to acknowledge that the message was read by its recipient, and this data could immediately be fed back to me
- I could use it as a communication platform - I could chat to people in realtime using the device, or chat between devices if there was more than one
- Some of the CPU's pins (if there were any left! :)) could be exposed to the outside world so that things like sensors, data acquisition devices and extra modules could plug into the unit easily, in the same way as the Arduino.

-dav7
By Philba
Yous post is very confusing. You talk about not having money and then describe some projects that take real bucks. How much are you willing to spend now? You can get into PICs and AVRs for well less than $50.
By dav7
I'm more of an idea person than anything else right now, since I don't have the resources to do anything about them yet.

Some of the ideas I've had in the past are pretty good but some - like this one - are completely redundant.
By macegr
iPod Touch pretty well covers most of your requirements.
By Philba
no offense but great ideas are a dime a dozen. What is important is the ability bring an idea to fruition. Reminds me of Michael Keaton in "Night Shift"
By lyndon
All of what you want can be had in a $25 garage-sale PC. So it runs Windows? Big deal. There's nothing that says a PC must have an OS. There's nothing stopping you from programming it from the bare metal: it's just a matter of knowledge and skill.

Here's a suggested plan of action if you're serious:
- Get a free/thrown away PC
- Get the low-level PC docs. Free on the web if you search.
- Probably need an EPROM or Flash programmer since you'll be writing your own BIOS.
- Get an x86 cross-compiler. Must be a cross-compiler since it won't be able to run on the target machine. You can probably use gcc and make sure you don't use any of the runtime libraries.
- Write a small program to toggle the speaker bit and make it buzz.

There. That oughta keep you busy for a few months! If you can do this with a PC, then the next step is porting your code to an x86 compatible handheld that you can find cheap on eBay (like one of the old hp pocket computers).

Enjoy!!!
By dav7
macegr: True, but it runs OS X (or some form of it)... but yeah, physically it's pretty much the closest I'll probably get from the "devices that currently exist" market.

Philba: Yeah, I hate it... it's sad :( :x

lyndon: Interesting idea. Definitely something to think about, at least in theory. Writing my own BIOS (albeit a laughably simple one) would indeed probably keep me busy for a few months, and most certainly sounds interesting!

Here's another somewhat less opinionated/dreamy/optimistic, somewhat more practical reason for a device like what I'm looking for: I've discovered that I'm "allergic", if you will, to EMR. The kinds that computers and CRTs emit (at a relatively high screen resolution like 1024x768). A device like this would have such low EMR (because it'd be, like, running off probably less than 7 volts) it probably wouldn't cause all the symptoms I'm experiencing right now including acute fatigue, brain fog and inability to concentrate/focus on "deep" thought. I'm currently looking into why this is occurring and am having breaks of 4 or 5 days or more between "sessions" on the computer at the moment. At worst, a device like this would be something I could use to communicate and such without having terrible side effects from its use.

-dav7
By leon_heller
Do you mean electro-magnetic radiation? There is no evidence whatsoever that emanations from computer systems have any effect on people!

Leon
By FartingMonkey92
It's more likely the noise/refresh rate or the contrast of the monitor rather than EMR.? Could even be your ambient lighting...

Tried different monitors?