SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By daemondust
I know you stock several GPS modules already, but I've been looking at what Furuno has to offer. Their latest, GH-81, uses 17mA @ 3.3v during normal operation, and <2mA in its low power mode. They have a module with the antenna included which has a 21mm square footprint and is 9.6mm tall!

I emailed them for a quote, and they charge $150 per module in small quantitles (1 to 5) and $89 for 6 to 99. As you can see, there's a huge price break at qty. 6.

This looks like a very nice module. What would the chanses be of SparkFun stocking this?
By elevator4
Hi,
I'm curious to know where you found the GH-81 with 17mA power consumption. I couldn't find any reference to it on the Furuno website.
By daemondust
The latest I've found on their page is the GH-80, but when I asked for a quote for it they gave me documentation for the GH-81. I put the product brochure they sent me at http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~ibobbitt/GH81.pdf.
By elevator4
Thanks daemondust.
While the low power consumption is very good - about on a par with the lowest power Nemerix chipset - the GH-81 's sensitivity is decidedly on the low side, way below what is required for indoors use.
Still, I like the GH81's compactness, complete with antenna.
By daemondust
Right, the size and embedded antenna are what attracted me to it.