SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By QTAR
Hi,

I stumbled across this relatively new gyro sensor by Seiko Epson, which I am keen to implement but can't find a source to purchase them from anywhere!

The two main advantages I see about this sensor is it's very small (see pic below) and it runs off 3.3v, which would allow simpler integration into all the 3.3v systems, which the ADXR can't easily cater for. It's labelled "low-cost" everywhere on the net, so hopefully it’s competitive with Analog Devices' Gyros.

It would be great if you guys made a break out board for this sensor. Please let me know if you find a source to purchase them from.

Cheers,
Josh :) [/img]
By jayjay
Josh,

That device looks neat, but I doubt its available for sale anywhere in small qtys, the same problem goes for most, if not all Jap chips. Ever seen anyone selling Hitachi/Renesas, NEC, Fijitsu, Sanyo microcontrollers like AVR or PICs? :>

Cheers
Jay
By QTAR
Yeah, good point Jay,

I've noticed that attitude from many Japanese component manufacturers.

If your not buying in the thousands, they don't want to know you.

Pitty, coz it's so tiny!, it'd help make an ultra small IMU!

Cheers,
Josh
By jayjay
Indeed!

The japs make very good low profile connectors as well and what I usually do is talk to the local distributors for samples. In that respect they are quite generous, infact I just got about 20+ pcs of Renesas R8C MCU and Alps miniSD card connectors that way. Perhaps I can see whos the local disti for the Seiko-Epson, wine and dine with em for samples ;-)

Cheers
Jay