SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By John Meacham
Perhaps I am just missing something, but I can't tell from the description whether the breakout board is just the PCB, a bag of parts, or an assembled device.

Also, any word on OSS linux drivers? they would be a requirement for my intended uses.

Also, I am curious as to the fastest rate possible, is it limited to 'serial-like' speeds of 9600, 14.4k etc, or can it utilize the full USB bandwidth? does it auto-negotiate the speed with the host or do I need to set it independently on the computer and on the chip (like I need too when doing straight RS232). I don't supose there is a way I can sidestep the issue and use it to communicate with a PIC synchronously.

also, are the levels RS232 (+12 -12) or the nicer +5, 0?

sorry for all the questions, I am just way overbudget on my tinkering and wanted to make sure I could use something before I buy it.
By pittuck
John Meacham wrote:Perhaps I am just missing something, but I can't tell from the description whether the breakout board is just the PCB, a bag of parts, or an assembled device.
It is the whole thing fully assembled
Also, any word on OSS linux drivers? they would be a requirement for my intended uses.
No idea, there are some linux drivers, and i think that in some later kernal revisions they are going to include some USB-RS232 drivers, but the cp's dont seem too popular with the known ft(?) ones
Also, I am curious as to the fastest rate possible, is it limited to 'serial-like' speeds of 9600, 14.4k etc, or can it utilize the full USB bandwidth? does it auto-negotiate the speed with the host or do I need to set it independently on the computer and on the chip (like I need too when doing straight RS232). I don't supose there is a way I can sidestep the issue and use it to communicate with a PIC synchronously.
I am not sure on the fastest rate possible, i could have a go with hyperterminal and a wire jumper if u want.... Anyhow, the chip communicates using USB protocols, but appears as a COM Port, further more the chip gets the data at full speed and then outputs at lower, correct speed. So if your computer is sending 'Hello World' @ 9600 baud, each letter will be sent to the driver at 9600 baud, from here it will accellerate to the bus speed (5(?) Mbps) and when it gets to the chip its stored and then clocked out at 9600 baud. Rather cool i think.
also, are the levels RS232 (+12 -12) or the nicer +5, 0?
Neither :D +3, 0 actually. the inputs are 5V tollerant, but u might want to put a 1k resistor on them to be sure. With nearly all microcontrollers 3V is high enough to trigger an input high. If you do get problems you can use transistors to aplify the signal or a buffer chip...
sorry for all the questions, I am just way overbudget on my tinkering and wanted to make sure I could use something before I buy it.
Lol, ive always got no money!
By pittuck
ok just installed the drivers on my laptop and using hyperterminals fastest baud rate, it works great :D

921600baud :D whick works out at about 90kB per second, which is very fast.