SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By doragasu
Hello all!

I was thinking on making a line simulator to share my DSL connection with my Dreamcast console, that has a built-in modem. To connect my DC Modem to my PC modem I need a line simulator so my DC thinks it's connected to the telephone line and starts the dialing process.

Too bad I can't find any information on making line simulators... Does anybody have information about this? Is it difficult/expensive to build a homemade one?

Thanks!
By zilym
I did something like that with a 9V battery when I wanted to flash my iOpener's bios. Doesn't provide dial tone, but did provide the medium for the two to communicate.
By doragasu
zilym wrote:I did something like that with a 9V battery when I wanted to flash my iOpener's bios. Doesn't provide dial tone, but did provide the medium for the two to communicate.
Will that be able to make the modem work? Can you give me more info?

Thanks!!!
By wiml
Mostly what you need is just to put a voltage across the line (this is normally done by the phone central office). IIRC, you want 48 VDC but with a pretty high series resistance (the device expects to be able to pull the voltage down without drawing too much current). But most equipment is pretty tolerant of out-of-spec phone lines.

If the modem is too smart, it may listen for dialtone, etc., which would need a little more effort to simulate.
By doragasu
OK, I'll try then with 12 V and see what happens.

Thanks!!