SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By bgardner
I have been looking for a source for a reasonably priced graphic LCD with a touch screen. Any chance you would be offering screens like the ones on your new product? If not, any leads on where they might be obtained as well as prices and specs?

Thanks,

Bob
By sparky
www.crystalfontz.com - We can't compete with these guys, they're too nice!

-Nathan
By bgardner
So I'm guessing that you're using the CFAX12864CP-WGH-TS. I actually have one of those sitting here on my bench but haven't gotten around to making a small board for prototyping it. I need a board to convert from .100" center pins on a breadboard to the 0.5 mm pitch FPC connector that interfaces to the display connector. I have tried several different PCB programs but haven't been happy with the results yet. I seem to have trouble routing between inch and mm spaced pins/pads. Any recommendations?

I agree with the Crystalfontz comment. I have bought several graphic displays from them and have gotten great service.

Bob
By SOI_Sentinel
Hmmm... question: surplus or stock? Are you willing to dig for datasheets?

I know where to get a 320x240 grayscale LCD for $10 (goldmine-elec.com) Fairly large (5.7"?)

I know where to get a documented 320x240 256 color LCD for $40 or two for $60 (halted.com), PDA screen (3.8"?)

Then there's the random stuff around Earthlcd, too, mostly undocumented surplus.
By MGP
bgardner wrote:I have tried several different PCB programs but haven't been happy with the results yet. I seem to have trouble routing between inch and mm spaced pins/pads. Any recommendations?

Bob
What PCB programs have you tried?

Although it probably isn't an option for you, I use Protel 99SE and it has a cool feature that snaps to the electrical center of a pad regardless of grid or pin pitch and then completes your route on whatever orthogonal mode or grid settings you have set. It makes routing mixed metric-imperial boards a breeze. In fact, almost every board I design these days has a mixture of metric and imperial dimensioned parts.
By bgardner
SOI_Sentinel wrote:Hmmm... question: surplus or stock? Are you willing to dig for datasheets?
I'd prefer stock. The problem isn't the LCD, it's the touch screen. I have looked at the Halted ones but I don't think they have integrated driver chips. It looks like a major job to use them. The Crystalfontz displays have all the driver electronics built in. The only real problem is FPC connector that I have to figure out how to deal with.

Bob
By bgardner
MGP wrote: What PCB programs have you tried?
You're right, Protel is probably not an option.

I have been using PC Trace for years but it's so old it doesn't even have a metric option.

I tried Win QCAD but coutdn't get quite what I wanted.

Currently using FreePCB. I think I'll be able to get something acceptable but I need a little more time with it.

Thanks

Bob
By SOI_Sentinel
Yes, there is no integrated controller. From what you're saying, I doubt you'd want to build your own controller, but I'll put this up for other interested parties.

I have seen several LCD's that can be driven by an Epson S1D13A04. I believe this screen can be, too.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch ... 25&Site=US

The touchscreen itself can be driven by PICs or any other microcontroller. I had an article on how to do that, but I can't find it right now. A dedicated controller isn't bad, either. A low cost Analog chip:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch ... 73&Site=US

So, $20 in chips plus board space and whatever micro you want to throw at it. By far not a hassle free option, but an option.