SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By SOI_Sentinel
Yeah, that's a pretty interesting design, especially since you can vary the sensitvity just via manipulating the IO on the fly. I don't see any notes on calibration procedures, however, so you'd have to flip your design around a few ways to get the centers programmed accurately (no self calibration). It also has a 350 and 150Hz bandwidths. Good for some applications, but I can think of a few vibration tracking situations where the 2.5 to 6KHz max bandwidth of the various Analog parts would be better.
By jrcfg
I ordered samples of the freescale triple axis on Saturday, got an e-mail this am that the samples are backordered and won't ship 'till the end of July! Must not be very many around yet.
By stevech
Another Paper Product Launch!
By leon_heller
jrcfg wrote:I ordered samples of the freescale triple axis on Saturday, got an e-mail this am that the samples are backordered and won't ship 'till the end of July! Must not be very many around yet.

Same happened with me. I also ordered the eval. kit and that is on back-order as well.

Leon
By dpaton
Bummer for you guys..I got my single chip sample via FedEx today, after ordering the day of the announcement. I'm waiting for my friend 'the board guy' to get me a PCB for it, and for the hot air station to get fixed at the office so I can solder it. More after it gets hooked up...

-dave
By Ralph_Hilton
It looks like the backlogging is diminishing. I ordered a sample on 23 May and got a mail yesterday saying that its on its way.
By jrcfg
It looks like the backlogging is diminishing....got a mail yesterday saying that its on its way.
Ditto 8)
By leon_heller
leon_heller wrote:
jrcfg wrote:I ordered samples of the freescale triple axis on Saturday, got an e-mail this am that the samples are backordered and won't ship 'till the end of July! Must not be very many around yet.

Same happened with me. I also ordered the eval. kit and that is on back-order as well.

Leon
I Just got my sample. I'll be designing a PCB for it using an MSP430.

Leon
By sparky
Sorry it took us so long!

The breakout board is here : http://www.sparkfun.com/shop/index.php? ... itemid=439

Somebody went and bought up the entire stock (~850pcs) from Arrow a day before we could place our production order. We're strapped to only 25pcs at the moment. Should have more in a week.

The SerAccel v5 is also almost finished. More details soon.

Oh, by the way - this is a really cool chip! I love it! This is going to simplify so many of our designs. And with selectable ranges and sleep mode, you can't go wrong...

-Nathan
By jrcfg
Sparky,

Are you going to offer a "bag 'o parts" without the accelerometer for those who already have samples?
By sparky
Probably not. The leadless package is not condusive to any kind of soldering except with a stencil and reflow tools.

Besides, you'll need the breakout board for tinkering, but you'll need your sample for your custom PCB ;)

-Nathan
By tmbg
is it possible to level some solder on the pads and then reflow this chip with hot air?
By dpaton
Possible? Sure. Practical? I don't know. This kind of package is usually built kinda like that in industrial processes, but the solder used, like Nathan said, is stenciled onto the board and has flux mixed in, where your pre-leveled solder would be lacking that flux, making the soldering process harder. 63/37 eutectic solder that's been HASL'd over a tight soldermask might work if you flooded the area with a light flux beforehand, and then spent some time cleaning up when it was done. I wouldn't try it if I only had one sample tho.

Lucky for me I have 3. 8)

-dave
By sparky
If anyone has sensors for sale, we need em! Freescale just bumped the delivery date to August 1st with another bump possible because of 'wafer fabrication problems'. That's a big uh-oh.

We're almost out of sensors. I knew I should have bought a bigger inital batch! But I thought the 800 would be around for atleast a couple days... Damn.

-Nathan