SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By artem88
Dmitri wrote:I hope you can get a replacement.
On what basis? I'm sure I killed it with ESD. Because I perfectly remember all the time I worked, I always discharged on house heating battery. But yesterday it was first time when I finished erecting work and loundged on armchair for coding. My fluffy cat jumped on my knees and I stroked her a long enough. Then I turned off my device and computer and went sleep. It was last time my cam worked... Now I'll use antistatic wrist strap...
By KreAture
This happens sometimes to one of my cams too. To get it working again I have to disconnect power to it for a bit, then restart my app and re-init the camera.
By Dmitri
artem88 wrote:
Dmitri wrote:I hope you can get a replacement.
On what basis? I'm sure I killed it with ESD. Because I perfectly remember all the time I worked, I always discharged on house heating battery. But yesterday it was first time when I finished erecting work and loundged on armchair for coding. My fluffy cat jumped on my knees and I stroked her a long enough. Then I turned off my device and computer and went sleep. It was last time my cam worked... Now I'll use antistatic wrist strap...
Put your cat on a "mice and water" diet for a month. This might help to save money for a new cam :P

I never had ESD problems in my long long electronic career.
By Dmitri
KreAture wrote:This happens sometimes to one of my cams too. To get it working again I have to disconnect power to it for a bit, then restart my app and re-init the camera.
Sometimes, the cam stops accepting I2C commands. I had to disconnect it from the power as well.
By artem88
It's hard to hold cam powered during a whole disconnection and testing, and connecting back and so on... I think it was being disconnected at least 1000000 times. Isn't enough ? ;)
I very lucky, that microcontroller outputs are ok. They didn't expected that other-side inputs (reset and extclk) magically became outputs.
By Dmitri
I measured the power consumption of my design. It is about 100mA from a 3VDC source which is good indeed. Since the firmware is interrupt-driven, some more miliamps could be saved by going IDLE where CPU is stopped while DMA, SPI & Co are still running.

BTW, SPI clocks the SD card at incredible 40MHz (FCY of the chip). I don't know why but it works with many different SD cards of different flavors (noname included).

2.5MBytes/s are possible. Practically, not theoretically :)
By Dmitri
Another TCM8230MD example video showing the German city of Constance by night.
The weather was pretty ugly.

XviD, 43 Mbytes, 4:25

The city of Constance by night captured with TCM8230MD @ rapidshare.com

I'm pretty sure that this cam has a built-in IR light blocker as many do. Just a piece of cyan colored glass. If removed, the low light performance will get better dramatically, although weird colors might occure.
By artem88
Thanks for video ! What framerate and extclk frequency was used during capture (not in resulted video) ?
By Dmitri
artem88 wrote:Thanks for video ! What framerate and extclk frequency was used during capture (not in resulted video) ?
Privet Artem!

The cam is configured to output 30 frames per second. Since EXTCLK frequency is 13.33MHz - around a half of what it should be, the framerate is down to 16 fps. EXTCLK is generated by the PIC24 itself, so it is 100% synchronous with the program execution flow.

13.33 MHz is one third of the PIC24's internal execution clock (40 megaops per second). In this QVGA mode (320x240), the resulting DCLK is a half of EXTCLK. Thus, I have 6 machine clocks to store an incoming byte in the DMA buffer array.

I noticed that the resulting DCLK and EXTCLK are equal in frequency in modes with higher resolutions. It is not a half of it any more.

/Dmitri
By artem88
Hmm... I suppose, you have duty cycle of extclk is not equal 50%. It is 1/3 or 2/3, isn't it ? I'll be happy, if so, because I can't produce 50% at desired frequency.
I noticed that the resulting DCLK and EXTCLK are equal in frequency in modes with higher resolutions. It is not a half of it any more.
Let's send these 23 pages of topic to toshiba for their datash*t best replacement :)
By Dmitri
artem88 wrote:Hmm... I suppose, you have duty cycle of extclk is not equal 50%. It is 1/3 or 2/3, isn't it ? I'll be happy, if so, because I can't produce 50% at desired frequency.
That's correct. The duty cycle is not 50%. It worked even with 10% as I increased the period w/o caring about DC, so it is not critical.
artem88 wrote:
Let's send these 23 pages of topic to toshiba for their datash*t best replacement :)
This seems to be an everlasting problem with good and cheap things coming from Asia. They are offered undocumented.
By rmann
[quote="Dmitri"]Hello everybody!
KreAture, I don't like YT fo this purpose because YT will re-compress the already compressed file.
[/quote]

Dimitri, I've uploaded H.264-encoded video to Vimeo, and then re-downloaded the file (you can allow users to do that) and compared them byte-for-byte. They were identical, despite Vimeo's post-processing of the video after upload.
By rmann
Dmitri, have you had any luck using the camera module's JPEG compression? I'm considering building a board around an Atmel AT91SAM3U4C (ARM Cortex-M3), but I need to send slow video across a slow wireless link (sequential still video). I'd like to take advantage of the JPEG compression.

Also, can you talk more about how you interfaced to the PIC? I haven't found where you talk about that, but this is a rather long thread at this point. I'd like to know what approach to take when designing my board.

Thank you!
By Dmitri
rmann wrote:
Dmitri wrote:I don't like YT fo this purpose because YT will re-compress the already compressed file.
Dimitri, I've uploaded H.264-encoded video to Vimeo, and then re-downloaded the file (you can allow users to do that) and compared them byte-for-byte. They were identical, despite Vimeo's post-processing of the video after upload.
Hi Rick!

Thank you for your advice. I'll give it a try.
By Dmitri
rmann wrote:Dmitri, have you had any luck using the camera module's JPEG compression? I'm considering building a board around an Atmel AT91SAM3U4C (ARM Cortex-M3), but I need to send slow video across a slow wireless link (sequential still video). I'd like to take advantage of the JPEG compression.

Also, can you talk more about how you interfaced to the PIC? I haven't found where you talk about that, but this is a rather long thread at this point. I'd like to know what approach to take when designing my board.

Thank you!
Rick,

I did not try TCM8240MD yet. I wonder if I will after so many people had no luck with it.

I will update you all about my design very soon. I have managed to achieve 24 frames per second with audio (it was 18 fps w/o audio before). All streamed to a sd card as before.

As far as JPEG compession is concerned, you can make a DCT for 8x8 pixel area in 25 microseconds (0.024ms) with PIC32. 320x240 picture will fit into the RAM of the newest PIC32.

/Dmitri