SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By kingtermite
So...I've been slowly getting the bug to play in the IoT arena more and more the past few years. I'm looking for a good forum and maybe some good tutorial websites.

I'm not a complete noob, I have a degree in computer engineering and have done some custom micocontroller projects back in college. I'm just looking for good resources to help me get started. :ugeek:

Something to help me compare between boards/platforms, finding out what resources are out there, etc....

Can anybody help me with some good pointers?

P.S. This seemed to be the closest thing to a decent and active IoT forum I could find. I was hoping to find a generic IoT forum, not one tied to any particular platform. If there is a more platform independent IoT forum (that is active), please point me to it.
The term IoT spans many technologies, of which you know already quite a few.
I'ld suggest you dream up your imaginary most inspiring IoT application, and simply start to build it.

Suggestions to google for :
"low power communication technology" (compare lora, sigfox, nb-iot, wifi, ble etc).
"Lowpower design" - may be needed if your device is battery powered.
"IoT platforms"- (like The Things Network), which have their advantages and disadvantages.

The optimal choices in general depend on: required bandwidth for your application, available battery power, and how much new technology you wish to learn. Once you have selected a communication tech and power options, you can find a suitable board.

Is there anything useful in this story for you?