SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By TS22082
Im all over the place trying to get the ESP8266 thing dev to accept uploads again. Really hoping im in the right place to get this figured out, if you have another place to look i'de really appreciate the advice.

I believe updating to High Sierra caused the problem because code that was working RIGHT before the update, do not upload anymore. I even tried uploading the sample blinky program and it wont upload to the board either. I used 2 different USB cables to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Module: Sparkfun ESP8266 Thing Dev
CPU Frequency: 80Mhz
Upload Using: usbserial-DN031130

The errors I'm getting when trying to upload a sketch to the board:
Code: Select all
An error occurred while uploading the sketch Uploading 228336 bytes from /var/folders/vm/7zhkws111z575vj68kz3wzkw0000gn/T/arduino_build_776513/blickyESP8266.ino.bin to flash at 0x00000000 
warning: espcomm_send_command: didn't receive command response 
warning: espcomm_send_command(FLASH_DOWNLOAD_DATA) failed
warning: espcomm_send_command: wrong direction/command: 0x01 0x03, expected 0x01 0x04
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
By theropod
It is very much the Mac OS update causing this issue. Do a net search for the correct USB driver that will work with the Ardunio IDE and High Sierra, as a dime against a dollar says Apple has limited the USB porting in the last update. Apple has turned into control freaks dictating what users can and cannot do with their own equipment. After the iOS update to 11.0.3 ruined my iphone 6 plus I will never buy another Apple product. I have been a loyal user/owner since 1992.