SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By bullhead
Help: Wanting to repair a volt meter. Three of the resistors are burned out. On the circuit board one is marked 9.5 ohms, R14. The color of the resistor is white, green, black, black, bro. if I'm reading it the right direction. The second one is marked 0.48 ohms, R8. It is burned and I can only read the first color band green and then three are unreadable. The last band is yellow. The third resistor is marked 4.5 ohms, R7, and the color bands are yellow, green, green silver, brown. How would I explain what resistors I need to buy. Does Sparkfun sell them or do you know where to buy? :pray:
By lyndon
They are precision 1% resistors (brown band): http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/con ... ode-5-band

bullhead wrote:Help: Wanting to repair a volt meter. Three of the resistors are burned out. On the circuit board one is marked 9.5 ohms, R14. The color of the resistor is white, green, black, black, bro. if I'm reading it the right direction. The second one is marked 0.48 ohms, R8. It is burned and I can only read the first color band green and then three are unreadable. The last band is yellow. The third resistor is marked 4.5 ohms, R7, and the color bands are yellow, green, green silver, brown. How would I explain what resistors I need to buy. Does Sparkfun sell them or do you know where to buy? :pray:
By bullhead
Thanks for the info. Will see if I can buy them from Digi-Key. I think that you have to buy in large bulk there. Thanks again.

Bullhead
By bullhead
I contacted Mouser Electronic but they were unable to help me. They did not understand or have the ones that I needed. Going to try Digikey's as you stated. Can not find those resistors at Frys Electronics or Radio Shack on the internet. I'm going to keep trying. It looks like when looking for the Resistors they are shown written (Example) "Axial Lead 2W 1% 4.3K Ohms or (K Ohms) Flameproof Electronic Metal Firm Resistor" Not sure how to word the one I need. Would it be "Axial Lead 2W 4.8 Ohms 5%? Unable to find anything like 9.5 Ohms, 0.48 Ohms or 4.5 Ohms listed They also show them as 1/2W or 1/4 W. Are they saying a 2 is a1/2 W? Mouser was unable to find anything like that in their stock. Do you know what next sizes would be good to use and to replace those? Don't want to give up. Thanks again anyone that can help.