SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By paca
Hi guys, this is my first post (apologies in advance) I have some pretty dumb questions, but I haven't found sufficient answers on Google or the forums.

So here it goes: I've got two degrees in EE and am employed professionally as an SE for an SDR company in Boulder, CO; I've been doing this stuff for half my life (32 now). For fun*... and cost saving reasons*... I'm planning out a computer for my Jeep Wrangler; I've been debating the Beaglebon Black (BBB), an Arduino platform or the Particle Photon (<--- I can wait to buy one even if it's not the right fit for my current project! further, I can't see it being a good launching-off point, but I love the concept of and motivation behind it). So my first plea for help is this:

I simply don't understand the inter-compatibility with BBB and Arduino capes and shields. Ideally, I'd like to grab a BBB since I'm a Linux-dude and extremely used to cross-compiling--even for much less capable ARM parts (Cortex-M[3,4])--and I like the idea of buying a blank cape to which I can solder. BUT, my two first objectives are attaching a GPS and 2x16 LCD. So, not from a perspective of ease, but of just will it work?--and I'm not asking for infallible answers!--could I theoretically grab a BBB, a blank cape and then some GPS and LCD stuff and solder it up?

My second question is: has anybody done anything like this?

Third: I'm very used to embedded Linux on ARM and have significant experience with 8- and 32-bit PIC parts, but I've never goofed with the Arduino world. Does anybody have opinions on how the Arduino compares to the BBB? I understand this is asking about apples and oranges since my understanding is the Arduino platform, in general, provides an OS of sorts to access and manipulate peripherals, but the FW is ultimately monolithic, implying blasting new bits whenever I'd want to update something--please correct me if I'm wrong!

Fourth: Can I mix these devices? I have a design plan which will eventually be comprised of (at least) a BBB to have a full-up computer, but also link it to other less powerful SoCs so I can scale my sensors, add new features... and of course wireless comms.

So, please don't flame me and I'm grateful to anyone who's read through this: if you were me and wanted to pick a platform with initial peripherals being GPS and a 2-line LCD, what would you choose to begin with? Just for context, I only have access to Linux (deliberate life choice) and I tend not to use IDEs in favor for vim/make/etc.

Ultimately my plan is to wire this thing up for comms, emergency, telemetry and anything else I can squeeze out of my Jeep: so, ODBII obviously, along with every interesting sensor I can get my paws on.

Thanks in advance, friends, for any responses!

*I've torn the Jeep apart, put on bigger wheels, goofed with other electronics... so I don't know actually know my vectors when the vehicle is moving; I can by a stupid FlashPaq for like $300-400, but it seems to me I should be able to wiggle the internal diagnostics (RO, I suppose) and settings (reset faulty error flags) myself rather than pay for a commercial device that does the same thing. In the end, I expect the cost between DIY and commercial would be a wash, and the DIY options induces risk, but, though I'm a dangerously (breaking things, not getting myself accidentally hurt) fearless engineer, I'd prefer to invest in taking a crack at it and then pay more if I foul it up.