SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By brunobits
Hello, SO I want to start by saying I actually hav e a degree in electronics engineering i am just out of practice and never worked with an Arduino or RaspberryPi, but I did learn how to program an Allen Bradley PLC back in the day.

Basically I want to be able to send a signal to a RaspberryPi or Arduino to make it do something that already has a switch to it.

I'm looking at this article
http://bildr.org/2012/03/rfp30n06le-arduino/

and I believe using the MOSFET as a switch in this article is what I need to interact with my Power windows/Door locks

But DO I need a Pi or can I do with an Arduino?

And what types of wireless inputs can I send to each? I'd like to be able to create an Android app to control all the automated features of my car; doors, locks, trunk, mirrors, windows, environmental controls, so I want to start small but be able to build upon it, like adding a remote start. So I figured a Arduino or a Pi would be a great place to start.

How many MOSFET "Switches" can a Arduino or Pi Support?
How does one get data into an Arduino or Pi without a direct interface, wifi, bluetooth?

Yes I know everything I want to do has been done and is available as an Aftermarket add on, but all the ones that include an Android App require a separate monthly fee to use, one should be able to be made without a monthly subscription service., I have an LTE Tablet I plan on using in the car as an in car control panel too