SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By madeinoz
G'day one and all,

My tinkering/project area is fairly space constrained as I have no garage/workshop :( ...sigh

I currently have two desks in the corner of a not much used lounge area.

The problem is my purchases/components/projects are starting to sprawl across the room and I need some storage ideas for components, filament spools, projects. some things are in tubs although unorganised so is a pain to find things.

So what are others doing in similar situations? Say small apartments?

Regards,

Stephen...
By lyndon
Parts storage: they make parts storage bins. A rack that's 20" high x 12" wide by about 4" deep can hold thousands of components. I have been using racks like this since my work area was a corner of a tiny spare bedroom in my apartment. Nice thing about them is they can be stacked vertically or hung from a wall.
For larger volumes, e.g., a reel of SMT LEDs, I put the reel in a gallon Zip-loc bag and hang the bags from a hook. I can store tens of thousands of components in a very small area this way.

Project storage: I find the $1 bins from Target work really well. I also use them to hold spools of hookup wire and cabling materials.

Recently, I've been using these for parts storage and I prefer them to the bins for surface mount parts. I can stack them up and label them on the edge by category: LEDs, optical sensors, switches, etc. so stuff is easy to find.
By madeinoz
Thanks Lyndon some great ideas. I'm going to head out today and see what equivalents we have over here in oz and to get some ideas