SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By CluelessComputerGuy
I am considering the Kano computer kit. I don't know anything about computers. I thought this would be a good way to help myself and my son learn about computers and about programming/coding specifically. What do you think of the Kano kit?
A friend told me to buy all the pieces individually in order to save money. But I don't know how that would be compared to buying the kit as a complete package. The package comes with directions and explanations for Coding. But it costs $150 without a display/monitor.
Does anyone out there have experience with the Kano computer kit? Are the pieces worth the money? Would it be better to buy the raspberry pi, keyboard, cables, etc. individually?
Thanks
By Ross Robotics
That kit is extremely over priced. It tells on the product page everything you need. Rasp Pi is only $30, Ebay keyboard is $10 and cables you can get at Walmart.. There are tons of programming tutorials for the Pi if you use Google.
By CluelessComputerGuy
That is what I thought too. But I was trying to determine the value of all the instruction booklets and tutorials and support from the Kano community. It sounds like you (Ross) don't think it is worth the money. Thank you for your insights.

Has anyone out there used the system and found the value of everything that it comes with? I am leaning toward buying all the pieces independently.

Thanks
By jremington
If you just want to learn a bit about computing, the Arduino is much cheaper, easier to program and easier to interface with the real world than the RPi or its cousins. There is a very active user forum.

Google "arduino anything" to learn how others have done "anything" with Arduino.

Finally, you can buy Arduino and interface module knockoffs for almost nothing on eBay, and they usually work fine.
By Valen
That were my thoughts also. If you are really clueless about computers, starting programming on a linux based computer might not be the easiest learning path. Programming an arduino is generally speaking easier, but it is more geared to controlling external electronic devices. It can be as simple as turning leds on and off, but it does suggest you need a bit of knowledge about electronic parts. Or atleast willingness to play with them. On a personal computer you could also write programs/apps in various languages, but then those would likely do stuff with things that are inside the PC, for which the hardware is mostly standardized or generalized. What I'm trying to say is the kind of hardware is totally different. PC's can show pretty pictures on a screen, produce sounds and easily do data/file handling. An Arduino not so much, it has far less memory, processing speed, and much less capable ways to visualize the things it does. But way much easier to connect leds to it, or transistors to turn on motors or do whatever with electronics. You can attach displays to it, or SD-cards or sound-chips, or various wireless communication methods, but it won't be the same. And to properly use them you would need to get the right libraries for it and learn how to add them in. (the same goes for PC programming though) The Raspberry pi is somewhere in the middle and can do both, but can have a bigger learning curve in regards to the nature of the operating system. It too has a graphical user interface like Windows or Mac, but much more geared to be operated with entering text commands.