SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By cewmjtm
I would like to utilize a Non-Invasive Current Sensor - 30A -(SEN-11005) to indicate when a 24v thermostat makes a call for heat. I believe the thermostat amperage is around 0.5 amps. I am working on a radiant floor heating system which is difficult to adjust due to the passive nature of the temperature adjustments. Any ideas?
Plan is to Use an arduino uno w/wifi shield to graph the results over time to a webpage
By jremington
That sensor won't work at all if the load is controlled by a DC signal, and may not work well if the load is an 0.5 ampere AC signal (too low for the measurement range).

It would be better to use that sensor on the floor heater power leads, where a large AC current is expected.
Here is one possibility for connecting to an Arduino: http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/build ... -interface
By cewmjtm
the floor heat is supplied by hot water ... I am sure the thermostat is 24volt /ac ... my concern was in this enough to measure?
By Dave Mueller
Put the sensor on the circulating pump (I'm assuming there is one in the loop) or any other 120/240VAC device in the system that will draw current while heating.