SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By shiftline
I need to order an oscilloscope for a sensor project I'm working on.. I have not used one Ina. Good 10 years since electronic class so it will be a learning curve again

Usb vs hardware ones. Any big difference or recommendations for a decent one that won't break the bank?
By shiftline
My initial need is for testing 12v automotive sensors

I have been getting more into micro controllers so wouldnt mind something a universal enough for future projects
By Ross Robotics
I have to say that handheld O-scopes are a waste of money. You know the saying "You get what you pay for." Get a good used Tektronix scope off ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-2215- ... 20f985754a

For few extra bucks, you get a REAL scope that's calibrated. Had one of these and it's prefect for Arduinos and the like. Another piece of advice, don't get one under 100MHz..
By jremington
I agree with codlink about handheld or USB scopes. I have a couple and never, ever use them. My 100 MHz Tek 2235A (very similar to the one linked above) is always much handier and more reliable. However, even 100 MHz is a significant limitation, and I plan to buy a 1 gigasample/sec Rigol in the near future.

If you are in North America, I suggest to check Craigslist for used scopes in your area. That way you get to try them out locally before you buy.
By shiftline
Its just hard to justify the cost when the only immediate need is to test sensors/simulators... Down the road ill have to invest in a better one once i actually learn how to propperly use it and take advantage of it.

The Ebay one looks nice but being in canada with the dollar down it jacks the price up quite a bit :(

Do you think this (yes not as good.. usb one) would do the job? I believe its the same as the one above..
The more attractive part to me is the logic analyzer as i see it fun to play with on circuits
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SainSmar ... 57747.html
By jremington
Who could know? There is almost no information about that SainSmart USB scope in the ad, and we don't know what you are likely to encounter. It is not cheap, either.

There is, however, this fascinating and enticing material in the SainSmart scope ad:
Material
Sheet metal is metal formed by an industrial process into thin, flat pieces. It is one of the fundamental forms used in metalworking and it can be cut and bent into a variety of shapes. Countless everyday objects are constructed with sheet metal. Thicknesses can vary significantly; extremely thin thicknesses are considered foil or leaf. Within 1mm thickness sheet metal outer skin, the DDS oscilloscopes are effective in electromagnetic noise suppression and shielding.
lnterface
A binding post is a connector commonly used on electronic test equipment to terminate (attach) a single wire or test lead. They are also found on loudspeakers and audio amplifiers as well as other electrical equipment. A binding post contains a central threaded metal rod and a cap that screws down on that rod. The cap is commonly insulated with plastic and color-coded: red commonly means an active or positive terminal; black indicates an inactive (reference or return) or negative terminal; and green indicates an earth (ground) terminal.
By shiftline
Hhaha dont you love how they sell it!

I may take the risk as its in my current budget and can be here in 2 days via amazon prime. I hope i'm not wasting my money.. 130 for the scope / logic analyzer or 155 with the addition of the signal generator.,

Is there any real need for a signal generator?
By Ross Robotics
If you know what it is and how to use it.

I highly suggest you start reading articles on scopes, like tutorials and reviews. Maybe then will you see what I'm talking about.
By Ross Robotics
I researched scopes for a few months before I purchased one..
By shiftline
I spent the 130 for the usb one for now as it meets my immediate needs. I have a feeling I'll End up with a fancier one down the road once I get more and more into building with arduino and circuits