SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By dak246
I was just wondering why SparkFun doesn't change their name to ArduinoFun. Any thoughts?
By skimask
<Filed under..."Never Operated a Business">
By dak246
If I'm running a lemonade business, while not call it a lemonade business?
By Ross Robotics
They sell more than just Arduinos...
By dak246
I know. And lemonade businesses technically sell cups and straws.

Maybe I'm just another Arduino hater... Not that I monitor ever hobby there is, but I've never seen nor heard of anything so wholly consuming a hobby as Arduino has embedded electronics. I can't even finish typing an IC/sensor part# into Google without the word "Arduino" automatically appearing.
By Ross Robotics
dak246 wrote:I know. And lemonade businesses technically sell cups and straws.
Those items are given away with purchase of lemonade.
Maybe I'm just another Arduino hater
There's people out that hate on every big company that had an idea and made money off of that idea. Microsoft, Google, Hilton, Mouser, Ebay, IBM..
By dak246
Ross Robotics wrote:<Filed under..."Never Operated a Business">
Ross Robotics wrote:Those items are given away with purchase of lemonade.
As you pointed out, I have never operated a business, but if I did I think I would factor recurring, product-related expenses into the price of my products - implicitly if not explicitly.
Ross Robotics wrote:There's people out that hate on every big company that had an idea and made money off of that idea. Microsoft, Google, Hilton, Mouser, Ebay, IBM..
This has nothing to do with hating any company for any reason, let alone because it made money off an idea. I'm a SparkFun customer who is just irritated by how dramatically their focus shifted to Arduino. Not irritated enough to hate them or stop being a customer - just irritated enough to make a snarky comment and/or let off a little of that anti-Arduino steam in the form of a rant.
I would point out however that for every person who hates a big company because they made money off an idea, there are more than a few who would gladly snuggle up to them for the same reason. And snuggling takes many forms, e.g. staunchly defending them on forums against minor ridicule! But it's all good in the end. I'm just one of many who are irritated (however irrational that may seem to some) by Arduino, just like there are many who are irritated by Arduino haters. Again, not spewing hate and jealously...just posting my unpopular opinion to give the silent minority a voice. And no, I didn't realize how old this thread was until right now as I went to click submit. :dance:
By teprojects1
spark fun is really cool name, which reflect the sparking or shouting of anything and that is fun.. arduino is most used in the embedded projects and here mostly persons raise the question involved the arduino so that's not the big deal.
By teprojects1
dak246 wrote:If I'm running a lemonade business, while not call it a lemonade business?
then what you called that business which is not the business?