SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By winnieo
I am new to Arduino. I currently download files from GITHUB and let Arduino unzip the folders when adding a library and examples. I find it a bit annoying that everything from GITHUB seems to have "master" at the end of the folder and file names. I also understand how folder names must be the same as the name of the file they contain for Arduino to work correctly. I will do an experiment and manually unzip code from GITHUB, rename any files that have "master" at the end of their names by removing it. I will assume this will work. But for now I thought I'd just post the question if anyone knows why GITHUB works this way. And even though it is a simple test to do, I am not currently on my own computer to try it out, so I am just posting the question... why the nameing convention, and does anyone see any reason why this wouldnt work. What can I say... I just find it annoying to see master everywhere rather than just a meaning, descriptive name. A waste of time and space.
THANKS
By Ross Robotics
Why are you asking a Github question on this forum? You would be better to ask Github.. Basically, the folder you download is the "master." You really need to learn how Github works. It would take about 10 pages for me to explain it and I don't know how everything about Github.
By winnieo
lighten up! I thought it would be an OK place to post since Arduino users are frequently downloading from there. I will go to Github and poke around to find an answer. Sorry my post offended you so much!
By Ross Robotics
Didn't think my post was offense. I said it in the most polite way. But, isn't it common sense to go to the source? I also gave you the info to find out yourself. Once you know how Github works, then you will have your answer.