SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

By Ross Robotics
Valen wrote:Finally someone for my SF-forum ignore list. Congratulations, you are the first.
Damnit, I wish this forum had Karma like Arduino's forum as I would give you 10. Hell I wish you would post a Paypal donate button as I would send you 10 bucks for this post.

So Omega, shut the hell up as no one can see your posts now. You really shouldn't reply to this since I won't be able to read it..
By omega supreme
Board warning issued
Sent: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:26 am
To: omega supreme
The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Tone it down, or you're out!

Congratulations everyone! Your Cyber bullying and verbal assaults against me worked! I guess cyber-bullying, threats and personal attacks are acceptable under some circumstances, if you don't like what someone says, as long as you have the majority behind you.

I see that tolerance and acceptance of differences are not the policy of this site.
By Valen
Wow, an actual response! So far it seemed like we were dealing with a forum-bot caught in a question loop performing a Turing-test. There was no interaction from your side. If you are asking questions, then please find the courtesy to respond to the responses. Otherwise it's nothing but trolling. What was the point of starting this thread in the first place? If you just like to air questions about work then go start a blog or something. Here we expect interaction.
By omega supreme
I've sort of gotten bored with building circuits on a breadboard. I was wondering if learning to program microcontrollers might be the more creative route for me.
By Valen
We can't answer that. Like most other questions like that you asked about your personal interrests. Only you can. Just try.
By omega supreme
omega supreme wrote:Board warning issued
Sent: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:26 am
To: omega supreme
The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Tone it down, or you're out!

Congratulations everyone! Your Cyber bullying and verbal assaults against me worked! I guess cyber-bullying, threats and personal attacks are acceptable under some circumstances, if you don't like what someone says, as long as you have the majority behind you.

I see that tolerance and acceptance of differences are not the policy of this site.
Hi All,

I was wondering what I'm doing wrong. I'm not personally attacking or insulting or threatening anyone, like people are doing to me. Then, why am I getting the board warning? Why don't people tell me specifically what I'm doing wrong, instead of hurling threats, insults, and hurtful comments toward me? I can't read minds. At least be direct with me.
By phalanx
omega supreme wrote:I was wondering what I'm doing wrong.
It's the rhetoric and self-defeating personality you're communicating to us in this forum that has people believing you're a troll, and I'm inclined to agree with the general consensus. It took a few pages of posts for people to realize it, but this thread has been going nowhere and acts as a distraction to the learning and friendly chit-chat that is occuring elsewhere in forum. If the thread continues this way, I'll be inclined to lock it and I can't remember the last time I've had to do that here (if at all).

Answer this with no rhetoric or tangential distractions of how you are incapable of doing anything: What is your actual background? Do you have formal education as an engineer or as a technician (these are very different)? If you don't have an analytical mind that can break down problems and understand new concepts, you'll be hard pressed to succeed in either discipline even with a formal education.

Not everybody has the mind to be an engineer which is why other careers exist. I would have loved to race motorcycles professionally, but I know the limits of my skills therefore it's just a hobby and not a career.

-Bill
By omega supreme
phalanx wrote:
omega supreme wrote:I was wondering what I'm doing wrong.
It's the rhetoric and self-defeating personality you're communicating to us in this forum that has people believing you're a troll, and I'm inclined to agree with the general consensus. It took a few pages of posts for people to realize it, but this thread has been going nowhere and acts as a distraction to the learning and friendly chit-chat that is occuring elsewhere in forum. If the thread continues this way, I'll be inclined to lock it and I can't remember the last time I've had to do that here (if at all).

Answer this with no rhetoric or tangential distractions of how you are incapable of doing anything: What is your actual background? Do you have formal education as an engineer or as a technician (these are very different)? If you don't have an analytical mind that can break down problems and understand new concepts, you'll be hard pressed to succeed in either discipline even with a formal education.

Not everybody has the mind to be an engineer which is why other careers exist. I would have loved to race motorcycles professionally, but I know the limits of my skills therefore it's just a hobby and not a career.

-Bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NouZB6QuCys
By River_rider
This is a great question. I just retired from a 30+ year career as an EE. I developed new products that required designing hardware and software programs. Maybe looking at my path early on will give you some insight that will address your question. As a young lad I always liked to know how things worked. I had a curiosity for this understanding things that looking back I have to say was a big motivational force. After a stint in the Navy as an aircraft electrician I made the decision to go to college and try to earn my EE degree. I was just an average student in HS and math was tough for me. But I went back to school with a strong motivation to learn and get that degree. I knew success would mean a better life financially and a higher degree of happiness. I made it.
The education was like a set of tools. I knew that to be creative effectively I needed these tools. To build a bridge , or a product requires the use of these tools. How you use these tools is the creative aspect. The more tools you have, the easier it is to build the bridge. So after I earned my degree I set about learning how to design things and how to use the tools I had. In other words , how do I use my newly acquired skills creatively and effectively. I sought employment where I would be learning how to use my raw skill set. I did not seek the highest paying job I could find but the one with the most learning potential. Once employed I would seek out the senior engineer that I could learn from. Sometimes that was tough because of personalities but learning how to design was my topmost goal.
You mentioned that your are strong minded. This will limit your ability to learn which is the basis for creative thinking. Unlike art, electronic engineering requires real knowledge. You need to be willing to listen and be criticized. If you can't handle that you will never grow.
So put your ego on the shelf and try to learn from those around you that are creative. You will eventually develop a design style of your own based upon the learning experiences you have.
Be patient with folks and mostly with yourself. You'll have setbacks. Can you get back up and move on? Creativity and determination are great partners.
As far as what's easier to troubleshoot , hardware or software, for me that's a no-brainer. Hardware is easier by far.
Hardware obeys the laws of physics, software does not.
By phalanx
Just keep in mind that the original poster has been blocked from participating in the forum. I decided not to close the thread because there was some useful information being presented before the train derailed.

-Bill