SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything pertaining to the data.sparkfun.com service, the phant project which powers it, and user projects which talk to the service.
By liudr
I am a big fan of phant. I wonder if there is any way to pay to bump up the 50MB per stream cap for free streams so that I can log more data and possibly query more frequently on the server. SPE has fast servers compared with what I had to use before finding phant. I know phant is still under development but I still wonder if there is any plan to offer the service for a fee. I'm an arduino developer but I don't want to spend the time to learn how to install phant on a dedicated server (I envision unpleasant experience hitting multiple books and sites before finding my way). I am not generating a lot of data per second. I just want to use spe's phant server in a way that doesn't involve me saving all data every few weeks to every other months in the near future when I deploy a dozen loggers in the field for a client. My client will download all data once in a while. I just don't want to force them into a particular cycle of data download.

I am proposing maybe a sparkfun product and portal to add stream public keys to pay extended storage service for. E.G. spe product number 12345 phant extended service for xxx streams: storage cap xxxMB per stream, other parameters ... If I pay for this service, I'll get a year of contract for the service. I can swap in and out different streams for testing. Streams to be swapped out will get their data deleted before moving out just for simple management.
By lyndon
There are paid services available if you look around. The free Pachube became Xively that now hides their fees...

About the time SF announced phant (in May I think?), I had just started a project doing basically the same thing on a local server. I was considering making it commercial, but still haven't made that decision. I have a couple years experience in the field and I think it's worth considering, just haven't had the time to work on it.

If I can take the opportunity to pick your brain: how much data do you think you'd need to store per year?
By liudr
Well, a few hundred megabytes as a starter. I know making a network server that logs data is not rocket science but no offense to you, how fast can I extract data? I use another service from an individual and the speed is far from good.