SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By 8Volts
Hello,

I am looking to make my own LED lightbulbs that can screw in a traditional 120VAC household socket.

So to start, I have realized that I need a LED driver to drive constant current to my leds.

I found a constant current LED driver kit in the Sparkfun websit:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13716

My problem is that often there will be a 120VAC conventional triac dimmer as my source signal which isn't the best dimming medium for dimming LEDS.

So basically I need to modulate the brightness of the LEDS that are connected to the 13716 kit by a traditional triac dimmer.

The input to dim the 13716 device (CTRL pin) seems to require an analog voltage (20%-100% of max current by varying voltage from .5V-2.5V) or by PWM (so long as PWM minimum voltage is less than .4V and maximum voltage is more than 2.4V) for a full 0-100% range.

So how can I take the signal from my 120VAC triac output and convert it to the required specs of the CTRL input of the 13716 led driver?

So here's my question:

Does Sparkfun sell a kit to convert a triac's 120VAC leading edge dimming signal to a 0.5-2.5VDC analog signal thats accepted by the CTRL pin?

OR

Does Sparkfun sell a kit to convert a triac's 120VAC leading edge dimming signal to a to a PWM of 0.4VDC-2.4VDCthats accepted by the CTRL pin?

Thanks for all feedback
8V