SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By dav3yb
Hello. I'm going to be working on a project soon where I'm going to be trying to illuminate some crystal objects from underneath that are inside a box. I know I'll be using some white LED's and probably wire them in a series, but I'm not sure exactly what all I might need.

My main concern is a power source. I'd like to use some simple batteries, but that's where I'm really at a loss. I'll probably have about 7 LED's in various places, and use a switch somewhere on the lid to allow it to turn on and off when the box is opened or closed.

I know I'll need some white LED's, but as far as any resistors or how to power them all is where I'm completely lost. If anyone could help me with any good resources on how to figure everything out I'd be grateful.

Thanks.
By jremington
You need to decide which LEDs you will be using (color and power), and how many.
Let us know what you decide, and post a link to the LED data sheet or product page.

You could also do some research on your own. Google (for example) "choose resistor LED" for lots of helpful advice.
By dav3yb
millercommamatt wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:42 pm Do you want to use batteries or have something that plugs in?
Batteries for sure. I'm making this for something I can give way, so i'd like it to not be tethered to something.
jremington wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:20 pm You need to decide which LEDs you will be using (color and power), and how many.
Let us know what you decide, and post a link to the LED data sheet or product page.

You could also do some research on your own. Google (for example) "choose resistor LED" for lots of helpful advice.
I have recently ordered some white LED's from ebay. I figure if im going to learn on stuff and potentially kill a lot of them i'll go for the cheap stuff. Here is what the description page says about them:

Emitted Color: White
Lens Color: Water Clear
Luminous Intensity: 15000mcd
Forward Voltage (V): 3.2~3.4
Life Rating: 100,000 Hours
Viewing Angle: 20 ~ 25 Degree
Quantity: 100pcs
Lead Spacing: Approx. 2.54mm
Diameter: Approx. 0.35mm

Included: 100 x LED Light Diodes