SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By lagarkane
Hi there!
I am working on a personal project where I want to be able to hot Swap relatively regularly a connector with at least 11 pins, carrying 12v components ranging from 0.XA to 3-4A.
I initially planned on using a gx16 connector, as they look really nice, and are rock solid, but I am also trying to reduce to a minimum the weight of my setup.
Thus I looked into traditional connectors power ratings and I thought the molex connectors could be an interesting alternative... But I've read that they really aren't meant to be plugged / unplugged regularly and would probably break over time.

Could anyone tell me what kind of connectors there are out there that could match my requirements? How do you guys choose your connectors? There are so many of them out there, hard to know what's best!

Thanks in advance for your answers! :)
By lyndon
I'm fond of CPC: Circular Plastic Connectors: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... 2-ND/19373
I have used them in a number of projects. They can be mated & demated frequently and are vibration-resistant due to the twist-lock feature, all at a reasonable price.

Note that like the Harting ones, you will need to purchase pins & a crimp tool (or solder cup pins) separately. The ones for 16g wire at the bottom of the page should handle your current easily.
By lagarkane
Awesome!
I really like the CPC, very similar to the gx16 yet all plastic, and the four screw holes make it possible to mount it nicely =)
Thanks a lot, I think I'll go for this one =)
Although, I can't find any datasheet, all links are broken on their websites... :/ and I have a hard time finding a reseller that really shows what I'm buying, can't figure out if it's the male connector only, if it's sold with both..?
By DanV
First thing I did was click on Lyndon's link and opened the link to the datasheet.
I don't understand why it didn't work for you.

Digikey tells you what they're selling
CONN RCPT HSG FMALE 14POS PNL MT
is clearly a Connector Receptacle Housing Female 14 Position Panel Mount
or
CONN PLUG HSG MALE 14POS INLINE
Is a Connector Plug Housing Male 14 Position Inline

Try this link
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/con ... usings/320
you may have to scroll sideways to select Number of Positions and other features then apply filters.
Hell, you can hover over the pictures to see an enlarged view of the product.
By lyndon
You will need to purchase:
Female housing
Male housing
Female receptacle contacts
Male pin contacts
(optional) backshell with strain relief.

If you get the crimp versions, get a good crimping tool, otherwise buy solder cup pins.
lagarkane wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 pm Awesome!
I really like the CPC, very similar to the gx16 yet all plastic, and the four screw holes make it possible to mount it nicely =)
Thanks a lot, I think I'll go for this one =)
Although, I can't find any datasheet, all links are broken on their websites... :/ and I have a hard time finding a reseller that really shows what I'm buying, can't figure out if it's the male connector only, if it's sold with both..?