SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Pete
Hello
I have searched all over Google trying to find a diagram and infomation for a FTDI 5v TTL 232 which needs to go to DB9 com port, for an Amateur Radio Kenwood TS 480. Can anyone help?

Thank you
By Pete
Thanks for the reply I should have said i already have the FTDI TTL 232 5 volt cable and DP9 plug I have since found the chip has to be inverted with Mprog

TXD
RXD
RTS
CTS

With this done i thought it was all that needed to be done. Casting my mind back quite a few years ago I think this had to be done with this kind of FTDI chip for a Kenwood TS 850

Someone who makes these cables said what needs to be done;

Clamping diodes/resistors on the data from the TS-480 to the FTDI chip as real RS232 levels go negative 5v.

Need to clamp the RS232 signal from the 480 into the USB chip. (Yellow wire) as the radio will be trying to send -5v to the USB chip. It will not like that!!

Does anyone have any idea what is needed and how it is done? For me it's me clear as mud! I can't find anything on Google explaining this for the cable I have and rig which it is needed for. It would be good to find out what is needed to complete this and maybe other members of the forum can benefit and save time and get job done with less frustration and time wasted.

Regards
Pete