SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By kooganani
I have some components where the connectors are tabs with holes:

You can see that I've (poorly) soldered jumper wires onto the motor, which I've done so I can prototype the project with a breadboard. I can do the same with the potentiometer, but I thought I'd ask how other people deal with these connectors. Is there a certain type of crimp pin or something that works better? Stick a wire through the hold and put a glob of solder on it? Or should I just get a potentiometer with normal headers? If there's a standard technique for soldering a wire onto them, I'd love to see it.
By DanV
Yes, wire through the hole but don't just glob the solder on.
Clean the tip of your iron, tin it, heat the joint, then feed in a little solder.
It needs to be a proper solder job or you'll have issues.
By theropod
I put a small bend in the wire so that it passes through the hole and then lays flat along the component lead. To me this provides a larger contact area for both current flow and mechanical connection strength.
By DanV
Sorry, I didn't express the need for mechanical connection before soldering, but, it's absolutely true.
Wire through the hole, then bend the wire over, then solder.
Thanks, @theropod for pointing that out.