SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By unvercifcti
Hi,
I want to control four servos with a micro:bit (microbit.org). There are three pins on it. How can I extend one of the pins for instance using ICs and a breadboard?
Thank you.
Ünver
By paulvha
you could look to use the XOR chip.e.g. a 7486.
Connect pin 0 to 1 input on each of the 4 XOR-gates, connect pin 1 to the other input on 2 XOR gates and connect pin 2 to the other input of the last 2 XOR gates. Follow the HIGH/LOW logic as defined for XOR gates and prevent the condition where BOTH pin1 and pin2 are either LOW or HIGH at the same time. Now you can select each servo separate depending on the level of pin 0, 1 and 2.

extra info : If you really have to build it, the 3V from the Micro:bit is not enough for the 7486, it needs 5V.
By unvercifcti
Thank you for your reply. What I want is make a robotic arm accessible to kids. When I use solely micro:bit, they could just use a usb connection.
By darrellg
There are more than three pins on a micro:bit. There are three big ones that can be used with an alligator clip, but the small ones are data pins as well. Some of them are used with the LED matrix, but that doesn't mean you can't use them externally as well. If you get a kit with an edge connector, you can easily take advantage of the additional I/O.
microcontrollers_edge_connector.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.