SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By njivy
Which product(s) would be suitable for powering two LEDs from alkaline batteries? The circuit is essentially a flashlight, but my application is more like an LED-lit toy. I'm open to suggestions about off-the-shelf batteries and DC-DC converters.

Constraints:
1. Load: 2 LEDs, 20 mA, 3.3 V, like COM-09850
2. Source: Alkaline batteries, e.g. 4 AAs or a 9-volt
3. Maximize use of the batteries.
4. Pre-assembled DC-DC converter. I'd like to avoid soldering surface-mounted devices.
5. Less than $20 for the converter.

Thank you,

Nic
By njivy
Thanks @jremington. I took a look at those, and I found a lot of voltage sources. Seems like an LED would need a current source, right?

Option A
Load: 5mm white LED (COM-09850, < 20 mA, 3.2-3.4 V)
Current regulation: FemtoBuck (COM-13716) modified to provide 20 mA. Replace R2 with 4.7-Ohm surface-mounted resistor bought elsewhere. Requires 6 < Vin < 36. Any tips on sources for SMD resistors?
Battery: 9-volt alkaline battery
Evaluation: Efficient. Moderate cost. Requires more skill and available tools.

Option B
Current "regulation": Current-limiting resistor only
Battery: 3 AA batteries, approximately 4.5 V
Evaluation: Inefficient, lots of wasted heat. Low initial cost. Relatively easy.

Option C
Current regulation: DIY circuit (e.g. http://electronics-diy.com/power-led-driver-circuit.php)
Battery: 2 AA batteries with boost converter (PRT-10255) modified to output 3.3 V and operate down to 0.3 V
Evaluation: Efficient? Moderate cost. Requires more skill and available tools.

If rechargeable batteries are used instead, a couple more options arise.

Option D
Current regulation: DIY circuit (e.g. http://electronics-diy.com/power-led-driver-circuit.php). The variable resistance would dissipate the excess voltage as heat, I think.
Battery: 24.5mm rechargeable 3.6V coin battery CR2450 (PRT-10319) with holder (PRT-08863).
Recharging: Adjustable LiPo charger with 24.5mm holder (PRT-14380). Can the load be wired to this board, or does the load need to be disconnected while charging?
Evaluation: Moderate efficiency. Moderate cost. Moderate skill.

Option E
Current regulation: FemtoBuck (COM-13716) modified to provide 20 mA. Replace R2 with 4.7-Ohm surface-mounted resistor bought elsewhere. Requires 6 < Vin < 36.
Battery: 2 x LiPo, 1aH, 3.7 V (PRT-13813)
Recharging: 2 x LiPo Charger/Booster, 5 V, 1A (PRT-14411)
Evaluation: Efficient? High cost. Requires more skill and available tools.

Option F
Current "regulation": Current-limiting resistor only
Battery: 24.5mm rechargeable 3.6V coin battery CR2450 (PRT-10319) with holder (PRT-08863). Resistor to drop voltage from 3.6 to 3.3 V.
Recharging: Adjustable LiPo charger with 24.5mm holder (PRT-14380). Can the load be wired to this board, or does the load need to be disconnected while charging?
Evaluation: Efficient? Moderate cost. Relatively easy.

Conclusion
Looks like I need to invest in a proper soldering iron, stock up on some basic parts, and learn how to solder properly!
By jremington
Another option is to hack a solar garden light and get out the YX8018 DC-DC converter, which will run off a single AA cell, and requires but a single small inductor. Very low current circuit, so batteries last a long time.

https://ez.analog.com/community/univers ... rden-light

There are other interesting uses for that chip on the web, e.g. https://www.davidpilling.com/wiki/index.php/SolarStuff
By Anthony Fremont
njivy wrote:Which product(s) would be suitable for powering two LEDs from alkaline batteries? The circuit is essentially a flashlight, but my application is more like an LED-lit toy. I'm open to suggestions about off-the-shelf batteries and DC-DC converters.

Constraints:
1. Load: 2 LEDs, 20 mA, 3.3 V, like COM-09850
2. Source: Alkaline batteries, e.g. 4 AAs or a 9-volt
3. Maximize use of the batteries.
4. Pre-assembled DC-DC converter. I'd like to avoid soldering surface-mounted devices.
5. Less than $20 for the converter.

Thank you,

Nic
Look up joule thief circuits. They are probably the most efficient way to drive an LED.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk