SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Wintersm
I need a 12VDC water pump to be switched by a relay. The relay is controlled by an Arduino nano. I also have an LCD and a knob as I/O hardware. Can someone recommend the best way to power my project with batteries?

I first tried to siphon 6V for the Arduino and I/O hardware from one of the 4-battery packs used to build the 12V power source needed for the pump. It seemed the pump was consuming too much current, causing my Arduino to reboot.

I am currently using three 4-battery packs to power the circuit. One specifically dedicated to the Arduino, a knob, and an LCD.

I would like to reduce the number of batteries required. The pump only runs for 2 seconds every 45-90 minutes. So, can I get away with two 4-battery packs and a few caps to get me through the 2 seconds of max current draw? If so, how would you determine how many and what size/type to use? Trial and error? Should I just supply all 12V to the Nano and let its voltage regulator do its job?

Lastly, is there a better way to power the system? Lipo's, NiCd, NiMh?

Thanks for any help!

-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk