SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Mr.UNOwen
So I have a mosfet circuit to control a group of 6 fans. At full blast, there's no issue, but when at a lower duty cycle, LEDs begin to flicker and motors begin to stutter that aren't part of that mosfet circuit, but share the 12v line. Initially I thought this was a similar problem that relays have and added a diode from gnd to 12v (from the fan connection side), but no changes were observers. Does anyone have a clue what I'm missing?

Here's a link to the mosphet board: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301575487589?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
By Mr.UNOwen
That partly fixed it. I added a 1mF capacitor (across the voltage rails) and saw that it improved things. What fixed it entirely was having the diode go from 12 to the fan rather than across the fan connection (as well as keeping that capacitor on the voltage rail). So rather than having the diode draw down the spike, it'll just wall it off from the 12v source. From a heat stand point, this layout is running cooler, the other layout was producing a good amount of heat.