SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Khosrownia
Hi,

I am building a portable power supply using a 30Ah 12 volt rechargeable battery. The battery provides power to a number of devices that require 12 volts to operate and some that require 5 volts. The total drawn amperage is about 4 amps.

I have a couple of amp meters and volt meters built into the system to monitor the available power. And after a few hours the voltage drops to 11.5 volts. I want to be sure that I get steady 12 volt power to one specific piece of equipment that requires 12 volts so I have been thinking about pairing two 12 volts in series and then regulate the voltage to 12 volts. I am not able to find a high amperage voltage dc voltage regulator anywhere. I need something that can handle at least 5 amps.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Farzad
By jjinno
Khosrownia wrote:Thanks. Looks good. I will keep searching there for a regulator down to 12 volts and about 7 to 10 amps.
I regularly use 12V 30A automotive regulators for portable 12V LED projects. Basically something like this:

DC 24v to DC 12v Step Down 30A 360W Heavy Duty Truck Car Power Supply Adapter Converter Reducer Regulator for Auto Car Truck Vehicle Boat Solar System etc.(DC15-40V Inputs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JAIC7OO/re ... yyb4YE3BEM

Last Halloween I had two of those in a fancy headpiece to supply 56A worth of LED modules...

For the 5v stuff, you CAN use just about anything, but I prefer to use something like the following:

ZIUMIER DC 12V 24V to DC 5V 5A Buck Converter Voltage Regulator Step Down Converter,5V/25W Voltage Reducer for Car LED Strip Camera Mini USB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDM1R3F/re ... yybER65EFB

My guess is that's what you will power your controller with, and it will be MORE than sufficient...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk