SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By kongwubba18
I'm building a prototype of a smart card validator (a small machine that you tap an RFID bus pass against to pay for your bus fare). I'm sure many of you have seen them on various public transportation systems.

For my final prototype I want to be able to tap a card against the scanner and have the scanner briefly light up/make a sound. I'm trying to figure out exactly what hardware I'll need to get to make this work. From my research I gathered that I'll need an RFID scanner w/ card, Arduino Uno, LEDs and a speaker. I've found some kits on amazon.com that have all of the aforementioned parts but I feel like it'll be cheaper/better to buy individual parts so I can get exactly what I need. Please let me know exactly what I'll need to get and if I need to get anything more than I mentioned, if there's an easier way to do it, etc.

I have a somewhat basic understanding of electronics and this will be my first time ever using an Arduino but I'm open to the challenge. Any and all information is greatly appreciated, thank you for your help!