SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By xeneize
Gang:

I am new to the forum and thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

My project involves swapping out a single dome beacon lamp (it rotates via a motor) with a full sized police light bar. The beacon currently sits on top of the backbox of my Williams High Speed pinball machine.

The existing beacon is powered by what I believe is 26VAC off the transformer, which is then run through a bridge rectifier which converts it to +34vDC.

The lampbar I would like to install requires standard 12VDC but a significant amount of amperage. To illustrate, I can make the lampbar run by connecting it to my car battery, but not by using my BK Precision Power Supply. The power supply simply cannot provide enough juice to light the halogens and get the motors turning.

I would really like to use my existing wiring and not have to rely on a separate battery/power supply strictly for the lampbar. My plan was to add a converter to the line to make the 24VAC 12VDC, but the highest amperage rating I can find is 5A, which is simply not strong enough. I am reluctant to just try running the +34VDC through it.

If it will help, I posted the relevant section of the schematic here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/spzflvz52j8sz ... c.png?dl=0

Cheers!

Xeneize