SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By jakub82
Hi all,

As a first project I wanted to build an Arduino-controlled baby-breathing monitor, similar to this:

http://www.angelcarebaby.com/item/usa-v ... 1Tbu5F97b0

I'm not working on the video or sound capabilities, just the breathing detection using the pads.

The way it works is that the pads are positioned underneath the mattress in the cot. When the baby breathes, it records it as OK. If there is no movement the thing starts beeping loudly.

I am trying to work out the best way to build the actual sensors and wanted some advice/guidance/ideas about what would be best:

> Use a set of four (or more) load sensors to detect changes in weight resulting from movements, though I suspect the presence of the cot mattress over the top of the sensor may make this not possible;

> accelerometer, but I'm thinking the movements would be way too delicate;

> a group of flex sensors, though I'm thinking this probably wouldn't work because it would be on a flat surface, with a mattress over the top of it, however if I reconstructed/build a flexible pad with the load sensors running over the top of it, this could work?

> a grouping of highly sensitive vibration sensors (HDX1 or SW18020P);

I'm thinking the grouping of load sensors would work best, but can anyone please advise whether the load-rating has a bearing on the sensitivity? What I mean is, should I be looking to get a set of sensors rated for the load they would potentially carry (mattress + baby), or get sensors that have a lower weight rating to detect changes in weight?

All help/input greatly appreciated!