SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By KimALert
Hi, I'm new and quite frankly have no idea about technology and everything that goes into building something. I have an idea and I really want to try and build this thing on my own but I need to know if there is some type of technology that involves two magnets attached to separate items, and if they are a certain distance from one another if it is possible to alert a specific system or pager.
By free-bee
Possible to alert a specific system or pager? Yes, but I have no experience in this so I do not know how difficult it would be. I guess that would depend on the system you want to alert.
Distance measuring with magnets? Sure. But the issue with magnets is that the force they exert on each other changes in a non-linear way with distance. I didn't do much research at all. Here's a wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets

However, this may not actually be an issue in your project. Can you provide some details about your project? What kind of distances are you looking to detect (millimeters, inches, miles, light-years)?