SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By nacirus
I am working on a project for people that have limited coordination. I am currently trying to rewire a small RF remote that has separate on and off buttons.
What I would like to be able to do is write them into one push button. On first press the button should momentarily complete the circuit along for the on signal and then on a second press it should momentarily complete the circuit for the off signal. Is something like this available? I have not been able to find anything thus far.
I know there are some momentary on-off-on switches that complete this, but a single button will make it easier for the end users.
I am sure I can create this with an Arduino but if there is a ready made solution that will keep things simpler and at a lower cost, more people can be assisted.
By free-bee
You might be trying to describe either a T Flip-Flop or a JK Flip-Flop? JK has three inputs: J, K, Clock. If you wire the push button to the "Clock" pin and tie both the "J" and "K" inputs directly to Vcc, its output will toggle when the button is pressed. The T type has only one input: clock. Be sure to take bouncing into account when designing the circuit! That can cause the output to trigger multiple times per click.