SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By cavibs
I wish to measure vibrations that come from sound. The sound is likely well under 100 hz since it can never be heard. It is only felt as a mild pressure sensation. I may refer to it as "sound", perhaps it is better to call it something else.

My goal is not necessarily to get an extremely accurate level of whatever unit, rather to get a somewhat accurate - AND consistent reading - if the 'sound' remains the same each time it is measured.

I had used a Vibrometer app on my smart phone (a Samsung Galaxy S4). I was clearly able to see that 'ordinary' events within a building where it was used resulted in a relatively low reading, then the 'sound' - which I knew was present due to the feeling it produces, produced a much higher reading.
So, I saw it work. Over time the characteristics of the 'sound' changed, and
although I could still feel it, the reading on the phone app was noticeably lower. I suspect that the frequency was lowered rather then its power or amplitude.

So, I am looking for a better way to measure the sound. I've been told that it is best not to view this as measuring 'sound', since to most that implies 'audio' frequencies over 200 hz, and also that the equipment available for that purpose is not suited to very low frequencies.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to measure the sound, and get that in the form of a digital output that I can record with my computer - my strong preference is RS232. I would rather not play with any sort of analog output as that would be of little use to me. I'd need to convert that, and I do not want to go through the hassle.

I looked at devices like this on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VM-6360-Digital ... 4abc715370

("VM-6360 Digital Vibration Tester Meter Vibrometer")

but had some questions I didn't know how to answer. First, I wanted to get an idea of how well my phone app could perform at the lower frequencies compared to devices like this. For example, if my phone app handle frequencies down to 5 hz, then perhaps a gadget like this would not be useful. If my phone app only handled frequencies down to 80 hz, then perhaps a device like this would be useful to me.

Secondly, I am not at all sure if this sort of device would be able to measure vibrations in the air. I suspect these devices were meant to be bolted to some machinery that is being evaluated. I know the phone app does NOT use the microphone - but rather other sensors within the phone. So, I guess that is essentially what these devices do.

I'd appreciate any insight.
By dschlic1
Please note that for most humans hearing goes down to at least 10 to 20 Hz. 60 Hz is the hum you hear (at least in the US) from some electrical equipment. Also while most microphone specs show a lower limit at 100 Hz they have usable repeatable response much lower with a loss of accuracy but not repeatability.
By cavibs
This is a nice gadget ... might work for me. But, costs $5400 and up. I might want it for a month or two. Renting would seem nearly as expensive.

http://scantekinc.com/products/sound-le ... -frequency

Still not sure if this ebay gadget would suffice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VM-6360-Digital ... 4abc715370

I just need moderately accurate readings, that are somewhat consistent, assuming the vibration is the same each time, and then the ability to log data to a PC in real time.
Last edited by cavibs on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.