SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By raiderdoug
I want to build a beanbag throw clown game. When a beanbag passes through a hole I need a 12v sensor to trigger a relay. (12v) The sensor then needs to reset and be ready for the next beanbag. It would be nice if the sensor monitored several holes that a beanbag may go through. However, I would still be interested if I needed one sensor per hole. The throw game is for children of the Army Corps of engineers. Does anyone know of any products that might work? Any suggestions are appreciated.
By notexactly
How big are the beanbags relative to the holes? Because if they're not too much smaller than the holes, you could just use infrared break-beam sensors across the diameters of the holes. Or, even simpler, just put a backboard behind the holes and detect impact with a switch.
By raiderdoug
I tried the impact switch idea before and found the lights/alarm went off when the bags hit anywhere on the board. They did not have to pass through the hole, just hit the board hard. That is why I am looking for someway to sense a beanbag going thru the hole and start a series of 12v relays. (alarms, lights, ect)

I am interested in the inferred sensor, but was under the impression they only responded to body heat. The holes are bigger the bags. I thought about a motion detector, but most I see need a set amount of time before they trigger. I need something that triggers the instant it senses movement. If anyone knows of a dect that will work, please advise
By Ross Robotics
Have a hinged door covering the hole (maybe slightly below) and have a switch on the door.
By raiderdoug
That's what I have now,(hinged boards) and it alarms just by hitting the board. I need something that will sense movement and respond instantly. Most motion detectors I see look for continuous movement for a period of time before responding. There has to be something out there that runs off 12v and will close a relay when a beanbag passes through the hole.
By Ross Robotics
raiderdoug wrote:That's what I have now,(hinged boards) and it alarms just by hitting the board. I need something that will sense movement and respond instantly. Most motion detectors I see look for continuous movement for a period of time before responding. There has to be something out there that runs off 12v and will close a relay when a beanbag passes through the hole.
This sounds like a mechanical problem. Seems like you need to play with the design.