SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By gentlemanbronco
Hey guys,

I'm working on a school project and I thought I'd come to you for help.

I really am in the blue here and was hoping that any of you would be able to guide me in the right direction.

Ok. So, without going into details about the class or assignments. I know very little about microchips, and I need to gather as much detail about this as possible to get the best grade.

1. I have two devices. Both need to communicate through bluetooth. Both devices need to have an LCD (or some form of display) to show the user that they recognize each other (and whatever other process that is occurring). Basically this sounds like a cell phone in some ways to me, but I need to somehow need to take this apart to the raw bones and describe components. Is there anywhere I could find some form of blueprint for such a process? Any form of help would greatly be appreciated.

... my teacher is offering us extra bonus for answering this. It's a computer tech class, but I really need the extra points and I am really in the blue here. He said that for anyone who can actually build two chipsets that can communicate with each other through bluetooth, and verify their connection through any form of display doesn't have to take the final and will get an automatic A. Now, I think I understand why he's offering such an awesome bonus.. This is something that will take us all a lot of work!

I really want this extra grade! I've got a B in the class, but I am working so hard to get that A.

Appreciate any help sincerely. It really means a lot to me.

Thanks guys.
By gentlemanbronco
It sure is too advanced for me. Good point though, I will ask if we can partner up, I'm not sure if anyone else knows as much. Unfortunately I'm on my own here for now.

The good part is that I get points for absolutely anything I can come up with. I'm not looking for you guys to do all the work here for me, I really am eager to learn about this I enjoy technology and learning. I was just hoping you can direct me to the best resources? Where can I start? I started with just research on microchips (but this was basics on how they are actually created). I have become familiar with the term Arduino, I am learning the basics on how the pins are connected, just basics.. I have looked on this website but it is a bit advanced.

Any books I can pick up? That would be the best! Is there a good book out there for beginners? I am familiarizing myself with terms, and just trying to figure out what components on what chipset would make a device that could do this? So basically, I'm just really reading up on anything and everything. I have a good amount of time to do this, and frankly.. I'm kind of a "nerd". I spend my time engaging in learning new things.

You guys look like you sure know what you are doing, and again I just wanted to gain some insight on where to begin from guru's.

I really appreciate your time, and any help is so appreciated. Thanks!
By Ross Robotics
If you want to read books, then you will have to start from the very basic guide. Google search will find you the good ones. After that, you will need some coding help, so there is another Google search. Most of the basics you can find in PDF form..

I understand why you would want to tackle this task. If you feel confident that you would ace the final, then this might be a fun project to start learning advanced tech.

Another helpful hint I can give you is to search Google with generic terms that deal with communicating over bluetooth.

Some basic components:
2x Arduinos (any model really)
2x bluetooth modules
2x LCDs
2x batteries for mobile use or
2x power supplies
??x supporting components
By gentlemanbronco
codlink,

Thank you so much! I got in touch with a classmate and he has skills in coding. I will be interested in learning about coding myself, which will be quite a process. If I can't pair up, I don't think there's anyway I can learn to code in time. I am waiting to hear from the teacher if we can pair up, I'm surprised nobody asked this. A lot of the students don't take the class seriously, and I think if he sees how intent I am on learning and actually pursuing this task, he will allow it.
My classmate seems to know a lot about coding, so whatever we decide to do with the device I think he will be able to handle that part. He does not know anything about hardware (assembling the device), but from what he told me he knows a lot about coding/programming.

If we DO decide to build this device, the teacher gave us freedom to have fun with the devices. What will the two devices communicate? The more I think about this, I picture my cell phone hooking up to my bluetooth speaker and this helps me envision the process. Now with two identical devices with LCD screens, I guess we will figure out something fun to communicate to each other. Texts, graphics, who knows? That's the fun.

Thanks for the list of basic components. I'm starting to read into these devices. Are the bluetooth modules basically a form of transceiver?

Yeah.. This is definitely going to be a challenge! I will continue doing work, and I will keep you guys updated if you're just curious how I'm coming along..

Thanks again so much, you guys are awesome!

By the way, I have great respect for you guys. This is some really, really, BRAIN busting stuff!
By Ross Robotics
If you're going to use Arduinos, then they use C++. As long as he knows CPP, then you're set.

Since you seem willing to learn about this tech, I highly suggest you search the Bluetooth devices Sparkfun offers, then click the "Hookup Guide" links to learn more. Especially the limitations.