SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By bbtingley
Hi all,

I'm new to LittleBits AND building my own gear but I'm trying to collect the parts I need for a simple low pass filter for external audio processing.

It looks to me like I need the power module with battery/cable kit, the microphone module, and the filter module. So far so good.

For my output, however, I don't want to use the LittleBits synth speaker. I don't need a dedicated speaker nor a volume pot. This filter will be in an effects chain in a live music setup so, I'd prefer just a simple audio out.

It looks to me like I need the LittleBits perf board to then solder a dedicated output onto. I've dug around on SparkFun and I've found this simple 3.5mm audio jack and this breakout board for it. But do I need the breakout board if I'm using the LittleBits Perf module?

I have soldering experience but have never constructed my own circuit. Sorry for all the newbie questions, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
By Mee_n_Mac
bbtingley wrote:It looks to me like I need the LittleBits perf board to then solder a dedicated output onto. I've dug around on SparkFun and I've found this simple 3.5mm audio jack and this breakout board for it. But do I need the breakout board if I'm using the LittleBits Perf module?
Strictly speaking you don't need the breakout board but you do have to find ways to connect the jack to the perfboard electrically and mechanically. Those pins on the jack look like they have almost the 0.1" spacing of the holes on the perfboard, so I think it'll just "plug in" and lie flat.

However from what I can see there's only a single signal pin that goes into the perfboard, so you get to use only 1 channel of the jack. Though perhaps you can use the other side of the perboard to bring in a stereo signal (if desired) ?

http://littlebits.cc/bits/perf
https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Pro ... -3.5mm.pdf