SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Mee_n_Mac
Mstaffa81 wrote:Hm. If I DID get the sequencer, I would want to use Xbee to control it with a program on a remote computer. Do you know anything about Xbee and how to do something like that?
I've not used an XBee but from what I've read, they're fairly simple to setup and use. The EL Sequencer has a socket for one and I think the general idea is that the XBee-XBee link is just set-up as an RF equivalent of a serial port. The "Arduino" on the EL_S doesn't really "know" the difference. XBee's are widely used and so I'd think there should be a lot of how-to info available on the WWW. For all I know SF might even have a tutorial on them in their tutorial section.
By Mstaffa81
I've tried to follow the tutorials, but my knowledge of the serial libraries and their use in code is pretty limited. I also have no idea how to use a program to send commands via xbee and control pins. Xbee (or I should say serial connections) are a good bit foreign to me
By Mee_n_Mac
Let me set aside the XBee for the moment and go 1 step further down the road. I assume you were going to have a PC connected, via a USB cable, to a "base station" XBee which then sends commands to the remote XBee and EL suit, telling it which EL wires are to be on and off ? Let's assume that all works. How were you going to format and send the EL suit commands ? Did you have some program in mind that runs on the PC to do this task ?
By Mee_n_Mac
Mstaffa81 wrote:Nnnnooo I'm afraid not.
So what was "the plan" ? Other than to figure out if it could be done (it can !) and then how do how been it's done. (I think that sentence makes sense) :mrgreen:

A story if I may ...

There are advant-garde (my terminology, for lack of better terms) dance troupes that use EL wire as part of their act. They have many dancers doing many different things on stage and yet it all must be choreographed to make the show successful. You can Google to see such dances/shows on YouTube. There is a existing protocol for show lighting and effects, called DMX, that has a lot of equipment and years of usage behind it. But it's like killing a fly w/an atomic bomb for just a few dancers, each with a suit of 8 strands of EL wire. Still there are people who use DMX, originally a wired protocol, now extended over RF, to control such things.

As it happens there's a very active Christmas lighting community and some of these people have lighting shows that would rival any pay-for light show. Perhaps you've seen them on TV. To serve these people some smart guy, no doubt one of them, came up with a PC program called Vixen (named for the obvious reason). I, ever so briefly, dabbled with the old version of Vixen (2.0) and found it, after some experimentation, easy to use to program complex lighting schemes. The new version, 3.0 last I checked, was not so easy to use (at least not worth my time at that time). In any case people were using Vixen to "talk" over RF (yes, among the various types were XBees !) to control X-mas lights far away on their property. There's no reason that Vixen, old or new, couldn't be used to talk over an XBee link to your EL suit. It might seem, at first, like using an A-bomb to kill a fly, and that might be the case, but the old version was easy to program a whole show in ... so who cared.

To help a dance troupe, I wrote an Arduino program that took Vixen 2.0 serial data as input, perhaps from an XBee (that was their plan, I don't know if that's how they ended up doing it), and translated that data/commands stream into equivalent EL Sequencer commands, for up to 15 EL suits. You of course, only have one suit, and so would need a simpler version of that code. I'm not sure if the dance troupe I was helping ever used my code but I did have it working, as best as I could test, on an Arduino Uno. And so it should also work on an EL Sequencer ... fed data from an XBee. But it'll be some work for YOU to learn all this stuff.

Is this more than you wanted ? Or need ? Many people have made EL (or LED) suits that follow pre-programmed sequences of lights on/off. Then when they tired of those, they changed the onboard EL/LED programming to do some others. No Rf link needed. Certainly less effort and time than the above, if all you'll ever do is a dozen or so EL sequences.

So how badly do you want/need the remote RF control ??? It can be done, though perhaps not simply.

In any case I'll try to find that old thread here on the SF forums for you to read and I'll try to locate, if I have it on this "newer" PC, the aforementioned Arduino code. It won't help you with the XBee learning but it may be a piece placed in your puzzle of what to do.
By Mstaffa81
Hm. In the end, I guess the use of xbee isn't entirely necessary. I guess what I should explain what it was for in the first place.

How well do you know clubs? As a human being with ears that can communicate with other humans, I'd imagine you have a basic understanding, as most, and I'm sure you know the music just fine.

Keeping that in mind, the basic truth of the dance music in clubs is that it's mixed right on the fly, which means predicting it is nearly impossible. Of course, I can use several sequences for the suit to try and match what the music is doing, but then, that seems a bit inaccurate. What I had been planning was to have the dancer not worry about what was going on, and have him simply dance, while I handled the light show.

True, this is a tad bit overkill. But what it really is is a show, right?

If it's really so difficult to do, I can overlook it for now, and
perhaps come back with more experience, and that's probably what's best, right?
By Mee_n_Mac
Mstaffa81 wrote:Keeping that in mind, the basic truth of the dance music in clubs is that it's mixed right on the fly, which means predicting it is nearly impossible. Of course, I can use several sequences for the suit to try and match what the music is doing, but then, that seems a bit inaccurate. What I had been planning was to have the dancer not worry about what was going on, and have him simply dance, while I handled the light show.
I agree that starting w/something simple and then building on that base, extending it's capabilities as you learn is a good way to go. The above makes me wonder ... perhaps the suit should listen to the music and react in some fashion ? This, again, may be more complex that is needed at first.

So I guess you have to decide where to start and if the EL_S is that starting point.
By Mee_n_Mac
Mstaffa81 wrote:I think I might at least manage a microphone embedded in the suit, would that work?
A mic would need some additional circuitry to turn the volume into an easily useful commodity, aka a voltage proportional to the sound intensity. More info (ie - frequency content) would require more circuitry. Here's some perhaps marginally useful links ...
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12642
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10468

But, if I'm getting your original concept right, perhaps it makes more sense to make the "smarts" stay near the mixer table (or where-ever) and relay it's analysis and commands to the EL suit. That way the suit is "light" in terms of processing power, battery power needed and weight and complexity. I'm liking your concept more and more. Heck, that's why the X-mas lighting guys do it the way they do. A PC does all the heavy lifting (computationally) and just relays the instructions over a "simple" radio link to some "marginally smart" light controller and lights.

Alas I'm not an XBee guy. I would only know what I would read.
By Mstaffa81
Perhaps another thread posted in the wireless forum with a link back to this would be in order?
By Mee_n_Mac
Mstaffa81 wrote:Perhaps another thread posted in the wireless forum with a link back to this would be in order?
Perhaps but I suspect a lot of the responses would be to point you toward some tutorial type links. :?
By Mstaffa81
Also, I've discovered the previous forum thread and have been reading through it. Also, I've been playing with the Vixen program, and I do like it, but I wonder if there's a better option such as Isadoras DMX output or something similar
By Mee_n_Mac
Mstaffa81 wrote:Also, I've discovered the previous forum thread and have been reading through it. Also, I've been playing with the Vixen program, and I do like it, but I wonder if there's a better option such as Isadoras DMX output or something similar
DMX is The Standard but, IIRC, it requires a higher bit rate than most low cost radios can provide.
By Mstaffa81
Low cost radios such as the xbee pro series 2? I don't remember it's rare off the top of my head. I know it can do 9600 easily, but the higher up speeds were a stretch for it I think