SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Mee_n_Mac
http://www.thedmxwiki.com/dmx_definitions/dmx512
DMX512 data is sent using RS-485 voltage levels and cabling practices. The DMX specification refers the reader to RS-485 for information about the electrical signal. Data are transmitted serially at 250 kbit/s and is grouped into packets of up to 513 bytes, called 'slots' in DMX512-A. Data are sent with 1 start bit and 2 stop bits, LSB first. The start of a packet is signified by a break of at least 88 uS followed by a “Mark After Break” (MAB), of at least 8uS (The 1986 version of the standard required a 4 uS MAB, this was extended to 8 uS in 1990). When receivers detect the break they restart their receiving code. Then up to 513 bytes are sent. The first byte is always the “Start code” byte. This tells receivers which kinds of data are being sent. For normal dimmer/level data, a start code of zero is used. Other start codes are used for Text packets or the System Information Packet (SIP), proprietary systems, or for the RDM extension to DMX.

The remaining bytes make up the actual level data. Up to 512 bytes can be sent, and it is the job of the receiver to count the bytes to keep track of the channels. As there is no error detection or correction in DMX, it is vitally important for receivers not to miss bytes, and to discard packets if framing or buffer overflow errors are detected.

A full packet takes approximately 23 mS to send, corresponding to a refresh rate of about 44 Hz. For higher refresh rates, fewer channels can be sent. This is accomplished by simply starting a new packet before all 512 channels have been sent. The minimum packet length is equivalent to 24 channels. Most transmitters send all 512 channels though, as many receivers have trouble with shorter packets.
By Mstaffa81
And there you have it. No dmx for me then :P I've been looking more at Vixen, and I think it would be possible per your suggestions from that thread to get the suit running on that through the general serial connection. I can probably trim the transmission like you suggested, but I don't know a lot about it to be completely honest. Also, I really don't need the level of synchronization that the people in that thread were seeking as I'm working with a single suit, not 7 choreographed suits.
By Mstaffa81
SO. Just a bit of an update (assuming anyone cares).

I succeeded in getting the program Vixen to communicate via serial connection with one of my Arduino units, and control a few LEDs in time to applied music. I know know, this isn't terribly exciting to you advanced users, but to someone with limited coding knowledge, I gotta say it's pretty great!

Anyway, the next step would obviously be extending that connection over the wireless serial connection via Xbee, which will likely come later, as soon as the EL sequencer is in and I can use it :D

Woo!
By Mee_n_Mac
Mstaffa81 wrote:I succeeded in getting the program Vixen to communicate via serial connection with one of my Arduino units, and control a few LEDs in time to applied music.
And that's where I left off some time ago. But if the EL_S works as it should, that should also work for EL wire. Taking a shot at linking a PC and EL_S via XBees some time down the road should be a do-able step.
By Mstaffa81
Excellent :3 I already spent a bit of time setting the channels to on and off positions in correspondence to a song (Fortune Days from Daftpunk) using a regular Arduino Uno and a prototyping breadboard to control LEDS instead of El wireless (as the sequencer hasn't arrived yet)
By Mee_n_Mac
I'll be interested to hear how well the code works on when loaded on an EL_S, compared to the LEDs on an Uno. You'll be breaking new ground as far as I'm concerned.

ps - Are you using Vixen 2.0 or 3.0 or ??
By Mstaffa81
Orlly? Cool! I imagine it'll work much the same way seeing as the arduino boot loader sees each el switch(?) As a digital pin which can read the on/off signals presented by Vixen. Also, I started off using Vixen 3, but I switched to 2 because that's what most of the tutorials are using as an example.
By Mee_n_Mac
Mstaffa81 wrote:Orlly? Cool! I imagine it'll work much the same way seeing as the arduino boot loader sees each el switch(?) As a digital pin which can read the on/off signals presented by Vixen.
Exactly ! But waaaaay too many years o experience has informed me to wait'n'see before declaring success.

paranoid ... naahhhhhhhhh :mrgreen:
By Mstaffa81
Oh no you're certainly right sir. I won't celebrate before success ^~^ I plan on testing the connection over regular serial first, and then hopefully expand to xbee serial communication (which I'm still trying to understand)
By Mstaffa81
Hmm, I seem to have hit a snag. The el sequencer uses a certain type of port for all its connections. This is all well and good, but I can't find these connectors anywhere around me, and online I'm probably looking in the wrong places or for the wrong thing.

I don't care about soldering the new connectors on it, that's not an issue. Just need to find some of those.

The battery, el wire strips, and inverter all need to have these connectors
By Mstaffa81
Oh awesome! And I found the headers for the xbee module on there too so I can order them together
By Mstaffa81
1410644812596.jpg
Being the sucker for instant gratification that I am, I cheated a little bit :P I rigged my own "rednecked" JST connectors.

Long story short, I cheated hardcore ^^'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Mstaffa81
Hm. I seem to have hit a bit of a snag again.

So, I have the el sequencer, the wires, a 12v inverter, and two 6v batteries wired in series to double the dcv to 12 and maintain the 2000maH... But, when I fire the board up the wires barely register anything at all. I used a voltmeter to check what the issue was and I discovered that the dc going into the inverter was around 7vdc, and there was probably only about 12vac going to the strands, which is not nearly enough to run even a single strand.

I noticed that the el sequencer is listed as having an "adjustable" 1.5 inline regulator.

Could it be set too low to allow the correct voltages for what I'm doing?
By Mee_n_Mac
Mstaffa81 wrote:I noticed that the el sequencer is listed as having an "adjustable" 1.5 inline regulator.

Could it be set too low to allow the correct voltages for what I'm doing?
The EL_S has a number of confusing power options.

First, as I understand it, is power to the onboard Arduino and supporting circuitry. That can be the RAW voltage, which is then regulated to 5V, or the nominal "5V" USB power from the USB connector. That's choosable via a switch.

Then there's the inverter power. As I see the schematic, there's an open solder jumper and a voltage regulator. If you leave the jumper open as is, then the RAW voltage is down-regulated to 3.3V. If SJ1 is blobbed across so as to short it, then the regulator is bypassed and the RAW voltage is connected to the inverter. I think that's what you want. See the tutorial for the cousin, the El Escudo #2, especially the summary.

https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/353
EL_S_power.jpg
For the life of me, I don't get how you measure 7VDC for the inverter DC input. I would hope that given anything >10V DC to the inverter, it would spit out >80 VRMS at it's output.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.