SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By dlotton
This question is probably better suited for the 'projects' forum. This forum is geared more toward designing PCBs (i.e. board layout), not really circuit design. Not a sin, just may not get your question in front of the audience you intended.

We'll be able to better help you if you can give us more details as to what you're trying to do. A simple variable voltage supply may be a sufficient simulator depending on what you're doing.
By carpenterdev
dlotton wrote:This question is probably better suited for the 'projects' forum. This forum is geared more toward designing PCBs (i.e. board layout), not really circuit design. Not a sin, just may not get your question in front of the audience you intended.

We'll be able to better help you if you can give us more details as to what you're trying to do. A simple variable voltage supply may be a sufficient simulator depending on what you're doing.
Is there a simple way to move a topic to other forums, or do you start new one? The reason I thought posting here was correct is because I will ultimately create a PCB, but I do see now that this is more a project question.

The differential pressure sensors are expensive - $100/ea (I need to use 2), so I'd rather experiment with cheaper components. I am building an Arduino circuit to transmit sensor data using Bluetooth LE. Usage of the differential pressures in my design will actually see Port B go down by the same value as Port A goes up. So I'd think a pot could be used where a CW twist results in Port A voltage changing by, say, +2 mV and Port B changing by -2 mV. A CCW twist results in opposite.

The circuit also includes a temperature sensor (LM35), but I already have that working. I may include a humidity sensor - so a total of four sensors - each transmitting on separate analog pins. I'll then create a shield that plugs into an Arduino Micro + BLE.

Thanks,

Bob
By dschlic1
One method is to use two pressure sensors, one on each side. However you can run inot resolution/accuracy issues if the common mode pressure is very high and the pressure difference is very small. Also will need two ADC point for each DPIT.
By carpenterdev
dschlic1 wrote:One method is to use two pressure sensors, one on each side. However you can run inot resolution/accuracy issues if the common mode pressure is very high and the pressure difference is very small. Also will need two ADC point for each DPIT.
I want to simulate the pressure sensor using a pot, so that I can twist it CW and CCW and transmit voltages (pressures) for code and circuit debugging before using an actual sensor. My problem is I only know about three-lead pots, and the sensor actually has four-leads. When I am done and my circuit actually works I will substitute an actual sensor on the PCB. So I need to know how to how to hook up a three-lead pot into a four-lead configuration that would simulate what a sensor would accomplish.

Thanks,

Bob
By Mee_n_Mac
carpenterdev wrote:I want to simulate the pressure sensor using a pot, so that I can twist it CW and CCW and transmit voltages (pressures) for code and circuit debugging before using an actual sensor. My problem is I only know about three-lead pots, and the sensor actually has four-leads.
While the device seems to have 4 leads, the equivalent circuit uses only 3 of them. One is the supply voltage, 2 is the ground and 3 is the output voltage. Looks like a pot would be a very good simulator.
By carpenterdev
Mee_n_Mac wrote:
carpenterdev wrote:I want to simulate the pressure sensor using a pot, so that I can twist it CW and CCW and transmit voltages (pressures) for code and circuit debugging before using an actual sensor. My problem is I only know about three-lead pots, and the sensor actually has four-leads.
While the device seems to have 4 leads, the equivalent circuit uses only 3 of them. One is the supply voltage, 2 is the ground and 3 is the output voltage. Looks like a pot would be a very good simulator.
The actual sensor does have 4 leads, so I want to make my board layout with 4 leads. I can take Vout and invert it and then set that to a separate Arduino pin. I'd set A1 to Vout and A2 to -Vout. See any problem with this?

Thanks,

Bob
By Mee_n_Mac
carpenterdev wrote:The actual sensor does have 4 leads, so I want to make my board layout with 4 leads. I can take Vout and invert it and then set that to a separate Arduino pin. I'd set A1 to Vout and A2 to -Vout. See any problem with this?
You'll need additional circuitry and a - supply. To what end ? The sensor doesn't output a -Vout. For the absolute pressure types, it outputs a (nominal) voltage from 0.25 (zero pressure) to 4.0 V (full scale pressure). For differential types it outputs 2.25 V for 0 difference in pressure and that goes down to 0.25 V or up to 4.25 V, depending on which pressure is greater (A or B port) and how large that difference is. At least that's how I read the datasheet you supplied.\

And an Arduino can only input and digitize + voltages.
By carpenterdev
Mee_n_Mac wrote:
carpenterdev wrote:The actual sensor does have 4 leads, so I want to make my board layout with 4 leads. I can take Vout and invert it and then set that to a separate Arduino pin. I'd set A1 to Vout and A2 to -Vout. See any problem with this?
You'll need additional circuitry and a - supply. To what end ? The sensor doesn't output a -Vout. For the absolute pressure types, it outputs a (nominal) voltage from 0.25 (zero pressure) to 4.0 V (full scale pressure). For differential types it outputs 2.25 V for 0 difference in pressure and that goes down to 0.25 V or up to 4.25 V, depending on which pressure is greater (A or B port) and how large that difference is. At least that's how I read the datasheet you supplied.\

And an Arduino can only input and digitize + voltages.
Thanks for the help. I'll build the circuit and try it out.

Bob
By waltr
carpenterdev wrote:I need to create a circuit that will simulate a differential pressure sensor, like shown here:

http://allsensors.com/datasheets/DS-0102_Rev_A.pdf

There's an equivalent circuit in the PDF, but I'm not experienced enough to know what components I'd need to put it together.

I appreciate any help in solving this.

Thanks,

Bob
The equivalent circuit is an resistor Wheatstone bridge (google this) and a differential op-amp. Very simple to build in a circuit simulator (like LT SPICE) or a real circuit.
Just use a Pot for one of the resistor in the bridge then tweak values to obtain the data sheet's output specs.
By carpenterdev
waltr wrote:
carpenterdev wrote:I need to create a circuit that will simulate a differential pressure sensor, like shown here:

There's an equivalent circuit in the PDF, but I'm not experienced enough to know what components I'd need to put it together.

Thanks,

Bob
The equivalent circuit is an resistor Wheatstone bridge (google this) and a differential op-amp. Very simple to build in a circuit simulator (like LT SPICE) or a real circuit.
Just use a Pot for one of the resistor in the bridge then tweak values to obtain the data sheet's output specs.
I'll build the Wheatstone bridge and Op-Amp circuit. I'll put a 200K pot in place of one of the WSB resistors (I assume it doesn't matter which?). For the Op-Amp I'll use an NTE928M - I'll wire it up as a comparator, like the All Sensors PDF shows.

Thanks for the help!

Bob
By carpenterdev
carpenterdev wrote:
waltr wrote:

Thanks,

Bob
I'll build the Wheatstone bridge and Op-Amp circuit. I'll put a 200K pot in place of one of the WSB resistors (I assume it doesn't matter which?). For the Op-Amp I'll use an NTE928M - I'll wire it up as a comparator, like the All Sensors PDF shows.

Thanks for the help!

Bob
I finished the circuit and all is working well - I am able to control voltage from 2.8 mV to 3.13 V; which is a fairly normal pressure range I'd expect to see.

NOTES: For bridge I used calculator http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/W ... ator.phtml and found that Vin = 4.5 V, R1=990 ohms, R2=0 ohms, R3 = 148.4 ohms, with R4 as a 5K pot would provide voltage range of 0.25 V -> 4.25 V.
For Op-Amp, I fed bridge +V to Non-Inverting Input A; bridge -V to Inverting Input A, set Vcc = 4.5V; Measured Output A.

Thanks,

Bob