SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By nicte83
Hi,

I have zero experience, but am not adverse to learning. I work in a laboratory. One of our tests uses a vacuum pump for either 1 minute or two minutes. Right now it is plugged into a power strip that I switch on and off.. which means I have to babysit it which digs into my efficiency quite a bit.

I want to create something that functions like the belkin conserve socket (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-S ... B003P2UMS0) - only with 1 & 2 minutes, versus the times they have.

I have been browsing around, and maybe picaxe? maybe something with the powerswitch tail II?

I really don't know what I need to get started. Please give me some advice as to how you think I should approach this project?
By lyndon
Building a timer with two fixed times is pretty easy, but it depends on your background. Can you program? How accurate does the timer need to be?

The solution may be either a simple Arduino-type control (accurate, but requires programming skills) or building from a schematic on the web (not as accurate, but no programming needed).

Here Is a simple demo I made that switches a solenoid valve on for a preset time. Probably took about 5 minutes of programming with an off the shelf board.

OTOH, what's wrong with off the shelf timers? They are pretty cheap.
By nicte83
If you could find me an off the shelf timer that shuts off the power at one and two minutes you would be my hero, I have looked all the places I know to go and come up empty..

It needs to be fairly accurate. Going over by a few seconds is not a problem, but under would be. It must be consistently repeatable.

I have never programmed like this, I can use xhtml/css, manipulate javascript and do some php. I don't mind learning a new thing.
By Mee_n_Mac
If you don't need high precision timing ...
http://www.zoro.com/i/G1835206/?category=4793

Spring Wound Timer, Timing Range 5 Minutes, Contact Form SPST, Power Rating @ 125 VAC 1 HP, Power Rating @ 250 VAC 2 HP, Load Capacity @ 125 VAC 20 (Inductive)/7 (Tungsten) Amps, Load Capacity @ 250 VAC 10 Amps, Load Capacity @ 277 VAC 10 Amps, Hold Feature No, Decorator, Mechanical, 2 1/2 Inches Deep Junction Box, Ivory
By nicte83
That could work, but I would like to keep exploring my options - as I have to "sell" the method to my bosses!
By Mee_n_Mac
You could look at the various count-down timer kits and then couple one of those with a relay or the powerswitch tail. But if your bosses are like my corporate hierarchy, they'll want something UL approved.
By lyndon
What's your budget for this?
There is an eBay timer for under $5. AKA "you pays your money and you takes your chances..."

You could use an industrial timer for $69. Will probably work as advertised and may need some connection to A/C and power output, but probably do what you need for $100 all in. Simpler, cheaper version also available.
Timing is one of the most common process control functions, so timers of all flavors are generally readily available.

[edit] Sorry, I was thinking 1-2 seconds instead of 1-2 minutes, but the comment above still applies. Automation Direct has dozens or hundreds of timers and many of them are square in the range you need.

Or an Arduino mini with a relay and a couple of pushbuttons for around $50 total would probably do it. The DIY way usually isn't as cheap as it first seems. If you can handle Javascript & PHP you should be able to manage enough C to get a timer working.

I can also build you one, but any of the above options would probably be cheaper.
By nicte83
Thank you for your input. Now I just need to get approval.
By lyndon
Which of the suggestions did you choose? If it's the Chinese eBay timers, I really want to know if they work well.

[edit]
And if you need help wiring everything up, just post here or PM me.
nicte83 wrote:Thank you for your input. Now I just need to get approval.
Last edited by lyndon on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By n1ist
I use Omron HC3R timers for life-testing and similar controls in the lab. Programmable on and off times from seconds to hours. The ones I use have a 120VAC coil, and I drive a contactor or relay to control heavy loads.
/mike