SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By umma13
hello everybody

i want build quadcopter and i want use arduino to flight control. but until this day i cant make a program. anyone help me
By waltr
Don't bother with trying to write the code yourself unless you have lots of programming experience.
Instead just use the Open Source MultiWii code written for Arduinos. Google "MultiWii" to learn more.
Also, I though of using an Arduino and adding sensors for a quad flight controller but found this is much more expensive than buying a MultiWii flight controller board. An MW bd can be bought for as low as $12 and easily be less than $30. These have the gryo and accelerometer on board with connectors for the RC receiver channels and for the ESCs as well as USB, Serial and I2C connections.
My current favorite board is the Flip 1.5 for $15:
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/flight ... oller.html

This is the code I use for a couple of Quad copters. Works great and is customizable.
By umma13
i know multiwii is solution simple, but i want my FC just control RPM until this quad fly.if i use multiwii i will PID.for me PID is very difficult
By enggricha
Without PID your quad is not going to be controllable at all... FYI u dont even need a multiwii flight controller. I made mine using a pro mini and a chineese GY-80 module.
By waltr
enggricha wrote:Without PID your quad is not going to be controllable at all... FYI u dont even need a multiwii flight controller. I made mine using a pro mini and a chineese GY-80 module.
Exactly.

But go ahead and try just sending PPM pulses (1-2ms every 20ms) to the motor ESCs. You will very quickly find that the quad will just flip over and/or thrash about breaking the props.
By enggricha
waltr wrote: Exactly.

But go ahead and try just sending PPM pulses (1-2ms every 20ms) to the motor ESCs. You will very quickly find that the quad will just flip over and/or thrash about breaking the props.
Old school advice?... nothing like learning out of your own experience !! I would have said that too, but quads are fairly expensive things to take that kind of risk with.