SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By chartle
I have some projects in mind that I want to run off of 1 3.7 lipo battery. I have found single cell servos but I was wondering if a regular small "9g" 4.5 - 5 volt servo will work at that voltage.

I have a tiny RC spider that I would like to convert to maybe a line follower or dark seeking robot that already runs on one small lipo. I would like to use servo circuitry since it only needs one pin for forward, reverse and speed per motor and I'm using a attiny85 (maybe a adafruit trinket) to control it.

Thanks
By Ross Robotics
You will need to consult the servo's datasheet for voltage references. How many servos are on this spider? You will probably need to use a servo controller that operates over serial. Another thing you need to investigate is the current rating for your Lipo considering every servo will most likely need at least 0.5A to operate.
By chartle
codlink wrote:You will need to consult the servo's datasheet for voltage references. How many servos are on this spider? You will probably need to use a servo controller that operates over serial. Another thing you need to investigate is the current rating for your Lipo considering every servo will most likely need at least 0.5A to operate.
Its only two very small motors. It's not one of those with two or three on each leg. The servo control boards are being used as a simple motor controller using only two outputs.

The current lipo is probably less than 100 mah. It's one of these. I got it at target on clearance for around $4.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f018/