SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By Belial88
Hi, pretty straightforward question. I'd like to replace the voltage regulators on my Bitfenix recon 2 fan controller, I mean you guys might not know what that is but it's the voltage regulators at issue here. People in PC-Land have no clue what components their stuff uses, so I figured you guys would be way more knowledgeable on this. Currently I have a heatsink on them that's literally a sawed in half stock cpu heatsink, because that's how insanely hot these things get with 2x140mm fans on a single channel, 3 channels like that (i tried enzotechs, chipset heatsinks + fans, and they weren't close to being enough). So I'd rather go the 'other way' in solving this problem and simply put higher quality VR's on them so they run cool.

The reason is because this massive heatsink is blocking a drive bay!

I had it reversed at that time for system debugging

ALJ
B772
P 61

is what the VR reads.

Seems very easy to do, just clip the 3 points and solder new ones on, I assume. I just wanted to make sure:

A) This can be done, right?
B) What's a high quality VR to use as a replacement
C) Where to buy it

Thanks!
By Mee_n_Mac
Belial88 wrote:ALJ
B772
P 61
is what the VR reads.

Seems very easy to do, just clip the 3 points and solder new ones on, I assume. I just wanted to make sure:

A) This can be done, right?
B) What's a high quality VR to use as a replacement
C) Where to buy it

Thanks!
That part is actually a PNP transistor, part of a switch mode regulator. Maybe a 'better' transistor could be found but it's more likely any such part would require some re-engineering of the rest of the regulator circuitry. If you want them to run cooler, get better heatsinks, a better thermal interface btw the transistor and sink and more/cooler airflow.
By Belial88
bleh, dang. There's not much way to go better with the heatsinks, I've got huge heatsinks on them and glue, which is about as good as it gets. It stills gets quite warm, but it's good enough now for warm ambients. Thanks for your help.