SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By mbutler
Hi,
I'm attempting to make a self service checkout, as found in grocery stores. The difference is, I'm not much of a programmer, so I've done it all in Microsoft Excel using macros and VBA. The actual program is pretty much done (I'm not bothered about security etc as I'll be stood next to it the whole time, and the area is on CCTV anyway) and I've ended up with a payment screen which just needs the coin acceptor to 'talk' to it now. I haven't started trying to program the coin acceptor, I'm not even sure how to wire it up yet! Ideally I can get the coin acceptor to 'type' the value of each coin entered into a new cell in a column/row, (I've then got the workbook set up to take the total entered from a cell that is an autosum of that row/column to complete the sale), however I appreciate it probably won't be that easy, but I image there will be a work around for the excel side of things (ie: getting excel to convert a code to the corresponding coin value). Really I need help with setting up a coin acceptor and getting it to input data (of some kind!) into excel.
Can anyone help with this?
Many thanks!!