SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By ruptmor
Hello everyone!
I am currently working on a little project that needs an enclosure much like the LED submersible tealights you can purchase on Amazon. However, I need it to be a little taller and maybe a little bigger in diameter. I have a pcb with an LED just like the tealights, but I also have a larger switch on the pcb that will not fit in there. I may be building quite a few of these things, but need to keep the price as low as possible.

Any ideas? I'm not totally against getting something custom made if the price is low enough (<$1.00 ea).

Thanks folks!

Ryan
By lyndon
PVC junction fittings and clear acrylic casting liquid from craft store.

[edit]
Actually, instead of fittings, just plain PVC or ABS 2" pipe since it's only like $3 for a 10 foot section and cuts easily.
Last edited by lyndon on Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By waltr
Yep, check what your local hardware or craft store might have.
If you find something the correct dimensions and its not water proof just glue it together.
By TS-Tim
I like the idea of PVC and epoxy, or PVC and some sort of clear cap. The lighting section of Home Depot has these florescent tube covers. They are clear 2" (maybe) diameter pipe. It's thin and easy to cut. And best of all as I mentioned, it's clear. That might be a good container that you could cut to size and then fill with epoxy or other substance. Like these
http://www.bulbs.com/espec.aspx?ID=1614 ... MgodoEoA0g
By lyndon
This is an example of what I mean. I took a 1/2" PVC slip connector and bored it out about 0.05" and dropped in a circular LED diffuser. The same thing could be done with acrylic or the diffuser sheet mentioned above. I did also cut out a circle of smoked acrylic, but it was too small to fit, so I didn't show it here.

Let me know if you have any questions. I really need to get a better webcam :-)