SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General project discussion / help
Did you make a robotic coffee pot which implements HTCPCP and decafs unauthorized users? Show it off here!
By 8Volts
wow that's amazing !!!! I wished I would understand all that!!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zzmi_Kno4 ... e%3Dfvwrel

I was wondering why he didn't connect anything
to the inverting input of the op amp....

I always thought that when an input is not used
it should be at least grounded!

I hope some day I will be able to build a radio
with an op amp like that and understand the underlying
theory behind it .... :oops:
By jremington
It is a simple crystal radio (3 components) connected to an op amp audio amplifier (4 components), plus an antenna wire, a speaker and a battery. Google "crystal radio" for a very large number of similar circuits.
By waltr
Yep crystal radio. Back in the '60s my brother and I would build these from scratch:
wind the coil on an oatmeal box (the round one).
make a variable cap with aluminum foil and plastic wrap
use various quartz, fools gold and other rocks with a thin wire to make a diode (cat's whisker).
Then an ear phone from a transistor radio to hear the radio stations.
Lots of fun.
By 8Volts
Hi, guys.... You guys are very smart. I am new to this electronics stuff. As much as it all seems fun and all... there's a lot of underlying theory in there for a guy like me, for example, how would I know the thickness of the wire, the amount of turns for the wire, the theory behind selecting the right capacitor and inductor so you can receive a particular frequency and lots more....

I would love to buy a kit that not only shows how to build a radio like that, but with all the applied theory and mathematical equations would be nice :D :D I looked around and I saw kits that show this, but I am afraid to buy them because I may be disappointed due to the lack of theory they may miss out on. The nice things about electronics is not only to be able to build a circuit, but to also fully understand it. And that's why I am afraid to buy certain kits 8)

Anyways ... thanks for replying...
By waltr
For learning how radio stuff works the "ARRL Handbook" is pretty good. There are many used copies around so you can get one at a good price.
It covers most radio theory well. It also has equations to calculate LC vales for a frequency and tables to determine size and number of turns to make coils of a know inductance.

Us smart! Maybe, but really we just have been doing this a longer time.
By 8Volts
thanks for your kind words waltr....

the truth is I am slower than others.... lol

thanks for the handbook .... looks like a pretty complete
reference ...
By Mee_n_Mac
waltr wrote:Us smart! Maybe, but really we just have been doing this a longer time.
And we are strong, we have photon torpedoes.